Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible
CÃ†SAREA PHILIPPI . The scene of Christ’s charge to Peter ( Matthew 16:13-20 , Mark 8:27 ). Here was a sanctuary of Pan a fact still remembered in the modern name Banias and when Herod the Great received the territory from Augustus in b.c. 20, he erected here a temple. His son Philip refounded the city, and changed its name from Paneas to CÃ¦sarea in honour of Augustus adding his own name to distinguish the town from the similarly named city founded by his father on the sea-coast. For a while it was called Neronias , but ultimately the old name came once more to the surface and ousted the others. Here Titus celebrated with gladiatorial shows the capture of Jerusalem. It was captured by the Crusaders in 1130, and finally lost by them to the Moslems in 1165. It lies 1150 ft. above the sea in a recess of the Hermon mountains, and is well watered. Under the ancient castle of the Crusaders a copious stream issued from a cave, now much choked with fallen fragments of rock, where was the shrine of Pan. The modern village is small, and the remains of the Roman city meagre.
R. A. S. Macalister.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Hastings, James. Entry for 'Caesarea Philippi'. Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/hdb/c/caesarea-philippi.html. 1909.