Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
Smith's Bible Dictionary
Caesare'a Philip'pi. Caesarea Philippi is mentioned only in the first two Gospels, Matthew 16:13; Mark 8:27, and in accounts, of the same transactions. It was at the easternmost, and most important, of the two recognized sources of the Jordan, the other being at Tel-el-Kadi. The spring rises from, and the city was built on, a limestone terrace in a valley at the base of Mount Hermon, 20 miles north of the Sea of Galilee.
It was enlarged by Herod Philip, and named after Caesar, with his own name added to distinguish it, from Caesarea. Its present name is Banias, a village of some 50 houses, with many interesting ruins. Caesarea Philippi has no Old Testament history, though it has been not unreasonably identified with Baal-gad. It was visited by Christ, shortly before his transfiguration, Matthew 16:13-28, and was the northern limit of his journeys. Mark 8:27.
These files are public domain.
Smith, William, Dr. Entry for 'Caesarea Philippi'. Smith's Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/sbd/c/caesarea-philippi.html. 1901.