Watson's Biblical & Theological Dictionary
was first called Laish or Leshem, Judges 18:7 . After it was subdued by the Danites, Judges 5:29 , it received the name of Dan; and is by Heathen writers called Paneas. Philip, the youngest son of Herod the Great, made it the capital of his tetrarchy, enlarged and embellished it, and gave it the name of Caesarea Philippi. It was situated at the foot of Mount Hermon, near the head of the Jordan; and was about fifty miles from Damascus, and thirty from Tyre. Our Saviour visited and taught in this place, and healed one who was possessed of an evil spirit:
here also he gave the memorable rebuke to Peter, Mark 8.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Watson, Richard. Entry for 'Caesarea Philippi'. Richard Watson's Biblical & Theological Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/wtd/c/caesarea-philippi.html. 1831-2.