the Second Week of Advent
Click here to learn more!
Morrish Bible Dictionary
The former name of this city was Panium, but Herod Philip, the tetrarch, enlarged it and named it after Caesar and himself. It is situated in the north of Palestine, near one of the sources of the Jordan. The Lord visited the villages in its district. Matthew 16:13; Mark 8:27 . It is now called Banias, 33 15' N, 35 41' E , a small village, with the remains of an ancient castle and other ruins, amid beautiful scenery.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Morrish, George. Entry for 'Caesarea Philippi'. Morrish Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/​dictionaries/​eng/​mbd/​c/caesarea-philippi.html. 1897.