free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
King James Dictionary
FASH'ION, n. fash'on. L. facio, facies.
1. The make or form of any thing the state of any thing with regard to its external appearance shape as the fashion of the ark, or of the tabernacle.
Or let me lose the fashion of a man.
The fashion of his countenance was altered. Luke 9 .
2. Form model to be imitated pattern.
King Ahaz sent to Urijah the priest the fashion of the altar. 2 Kings 16 .
3. The form of a garment the cut or shape of clothes as the fashion of a coat or of a bonnet. Hence,
4. The prevailing mode of dress or ornament. We import fashions from England, as the English often import them from France. What so changeable as fashion!
5. Manner sort way mode applied to actions or behavior.
Pluck Casca by the sleeve,
And he will, after his sour fashion, tell you
What hath proceeded.
6. Custom prevailing mode or practice. fashion is an inexorable tyrant, and most of the world its willing slaves.
It was the fashion of the age to call every thing in question.
Few enterprises are so hopeless as a contest with fashion.
7. Genteel life or good breeding as men of fashion.
8. Any thing worn. Not used.
9. Genteel company.
1. To form to give shape or figure to to mold.
Here the loud hammer fashions female toys.
Aaron fashioned the calf with a graving tool. Exodus 32 .
Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, what makes thou? Isaiah 14 .
2. To fit to adapt to accommodate with to.
Laws ought to be fashioned to the manners and conditions of the people.
3. To make according to the rule prescribed by custom.
Fashioned plate sells for more than its weight.
4. To forge or counterfeit. Not used.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Fashion'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/f/fashion.html.