Click here to get started today!
King James Dictionary
MIN'ISTER, n. L.
1. Properly, a chief servant hence, an agent appointed to transact or manage business under the authority of another in which sense, it is a word of very extensive application.
Moses rose up and his minister Joshua. Exodus 24
2. One to whom a king or prince entrusts the direction of affairs of state as minister of state the prime minister. In modern governments, the secretaries or heads of the several departments or branches of government are the ministers of the chief magistrate.
3. A magistrate an executive officer.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. Romans 13
4. A delegate an embassador the representative of a sovereign at a foreign court usually such as is resident at a foreign court, but not restricted to such.
5. One who serves at the altar one who performs sacerdotal duties the pastor of a church, duly authorized or licensed to preach the gospel and administer the sacraments. Ephesians 3
6. Christ is called a minister of the sanctuary. Hebrews 8
7. An angel a messenger of God.
Who maketh his angels spirits, his ministers a flaming fire. Psalms 104
MIN'ISTER, L. ministro. To give to afford to supply.
He that ministereth seed to the sower--2 Corinthians 9
That it may minister grace to the hearers. Ephesians 4
MIN'ISTER, To attend and serve to perform service in any office, sacred or secular.
I will sanctify also both Aaron and his sons, to minister to me in the priest's office. Exodus 29
1. To afford supplies to give things needful to supply the means of relief to relieve.
When saw we thee hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
2. To give medicines.
Canst thou not minister to a mind diseased?
In this sense, we commonly use administer.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Minister'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/m/minister.html.