Click here to get started today!
Morrish Bible Dictionary
1. nephesh , 'animal life, soul.' Job 11:20; Jeremiah 15:9 .
2. πνεῦμα, 'spirit' Matthew 27:50; John 19:30 . The word 'ghost' is used in the A.V. only in reference to the Holy Spirit (see HOLY GHOST), and to death, by the 'ghost' being given up, or the spirit or life being breathed out.
3. gava , 'to expire, die.' Genesis 25:8,17; Genesis 35:29; Genesis 49:33; Job 3:11; Job 10:18; Job 13:19; Job 14:10; Lamentations 1:19 .
4. εκπνέω, 'to breathe out, expire.' Mark 15:37,39; Luke 23:46 .
5. ἐκψύχω, 'to breathe out, expire.' Acts 5:5,10; Acts 12:23 .
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Morrish, George. Entry for 'Ghost'. Morrish Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/mbd/g/ghost.html. 1897.