Click here to get started today!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #1545 - ἔκβασις
- an egress, way out, exit
- applied figuratively to the way of escape from temptation
- the issue referring to the end of one's life
- Heb 13:7 refers not only to end of physical life, but the manner in which they closed a well spent life as exhibited by their spirit in dying
ἔκβᾰσις, εως, ἡ,
1. way out of, esp. out of the sea, Od. 5.410; κατὰ τὴν ἔκβασιν τὴν εἰς τὰ..ὄρη X. An. 4.3.20, cf. 4.1.20; περὶ τὰς ἐκβάσεις about the landing-places, Plb. 3.14.6.
2. going out of, esp. out of a ship, di embarkation, ἔ. στρατοῦ A. Supp. 771, cf. A.R. 2.1049, Plb. 4.64.5: metaph., ἄτης ἔ. escape from.., E. Med. 279, cf. Plu. Pyrrh. 23.
3. = μετάβασις, Arist Cael. 268b3.
4. end of a person's life, LXX Wi. 2.17: generally, termination, completion, ἐλαιουργίας PFay. 91.21 (i A.D.); accomplishment, τῶν ἔργων Ruf. Anat. I.
5. deviation, declension, departure, παρὰ [τοῦ ἀγαθοῦ] Plot. 1.8.7, cf. 3.7.6.
II issue, event, Men. 696, Arr. Epict. 2.7.9 (pl.); fulfilment of divination, Zeno Stoic. 1.44, Chrysipp.ib.2.342.
III emanation, procession, Porph. Sent. 35, Dam. Pr. 283. produce, ἐδαφῶν PRyl. 122.5 (ii A.D.). digression, Serv. ad Virg. G. 2.209.
** ἔκ -βασις , -εως , ἡ
(< ἐκβαίνω ),
[in LXX: Wisdom of Solomon 2:17; Wisdom of Solomon 8:8; Wisdom of Solomon 11:14*;]
1. a way out (Hom., Xen.): 1 Corinthians 10:13.
2. the issue (Menand.) Hebrews 13:7.†
ἐκ -βαίνω ,
[in LXX for H5929;]
to go out: Hebrews 11:15.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
For ἐ. = ";end,"; ";completion,"; cf. P Fay 91.21 (A.D. 99) μέχρει ἐγβάσεως πάσης ἐλαιουργίας, ";until the completion of the entire oil-manufacture"; (Edd.) : cf. Hebrews 13:7. In P Ryl II. 122.5 (A.D. 127) τὰ πλεῖσ [τα μ ]έρη τῆς ἐκβάσεως τῶν ἐδαφῶν the word = ";produce,"; and in ib. 157.9, .11 (A.D. 135) it is used like ἐκβαίνω (see s.v.) of land ";projecting.";
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
the Week of Proper 20 / Ordinary 25