free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #1999 - ἐπισύστασις
ἐπισύ-στᾰσις, εως, ἡ,
1. gathering, riotous meeting, τοῡ ὄχλου Acts 24:12 (nisi leg. ἐπίστασις); αἱ τῶν κρατούντων τῆς χώρας βαρβάρων ἐ. SIG 708.27 (Istropolis, ii B.C.); insurrection, Beros. ap. J. Revelation 1:20, LXX Numbers 16:40 (17.5): c. gen., rising against, τοῦ Κυρίου ib. 26.9.
2. collection, κακῶν S.E. M. 11.127; ὑδατίδων Sor. 1.58.
3. v.l. for ἐπίστασις, 2 Corinthians 11:28.
† ἐπι -σύστασις , -εως , ἡ
(< ἐπισυνίστημι ),
a gathering, a riotous throng: Rec. (for ἐπίστασις , q.v.), Acts 24:12, 2 Corinthians 11:28.†
** ἐπί -στασις , -εως , ἡ
(< ἐφίστημι ),
[in LXX: 2 Maccabees 6:3*;]
1. a stopping, halting (as of soldiers): ὄχλου , collecting a crowd (v. Rack-ham, Acts, l.c.): Acts 24:12 (WH, Rec. ἐπισύστασις ).
2. superintendence, attention (but v. Thayer, s.v.; Field, Notes, 185 f.): 2 Corinthians 11:28 (WH, Rec. ut supr.).†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
This word which is found in the LXX (Numbers 16:40; Numbers 26:9, and 1 Esdras 5:73 A) and in the received text of Acts 24:12, 2 Corinthians 11:28, may be illustrated from Syll 325.27 (i/B.C.) διὰ τὰς τῶν κρατούντων τῆς χώρας βαρβάρων ἐπισυνστάσεις, where the thought of ";hostile"; combination is prominent : see further Field Notes, p. 185 f. On the other hand the verb is sometimes used practically = ";appoint,"; as when certain πρεσβύτεροι of the village of Karanis grant one of their number a certificate stating that they had appointed him their deputy in the collection of the beer-tax—P Lond 255.10 (A.D. 136) (= II. p. 117) ἐπισυνε ̣σ ̣τάκαμέν σοι ἀνθ᾽ ὑμῶν (l. ἡμῶν) πρακτορεύιν (l. —ειν) κ (αὶ) χιρίζιν (l. χειρίζειν) τὴν δὲ ζυτηράν κτλ. : cf. ib. 306.8 (A.D. 145) (= II. p. 118) τὸν [ὁ ]μολογοῦντα συνεστακέναι τὸν Σα [το ]ρνίλον πρακτορεύοντα.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
the Second Week after Epiphany