Click to donate today!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #3906 - παρατηρέω
- to stand beside and watch, to watch assiduously, observe carefully
- to watch, attend to with the eyes
- of auguries, to see what he is going to do
- in a bad sense, to watch insidiously
- to watch one's self
- to observe, keep scrupulously
- to neglect nothing requisite to the religious observance of
watch closely, θεία φύσις -τηροῦσα τὰς τῶν ζῴν ἐξόδους Epicur. Ephesians 2 p.54U., cf. Ceb. 9; of a general, π. τόπους Plb. 1.29.4; σφᾶς αὐτοὺς π. Id. 11.9.9; observe, -τετηρηκότες μόνον (opp. scientific explanation) Phld. Rh. 1.248 S.: folld. by an interrog. clause, π. τινά, ὁπότερα.. X. Mem. 3.14.4; π. τίς ἔπταρεν Philem. 100.1: by a part.. π. [ὄρνιθα] ἀποδυόμενον Arist. HA 620a8; with evil design, lie in wait for, watch one's opportunity, abs., Id. Rh. 1384b7; in argument, Id. Top. 161a23; ἐνεδρεύειν καὶ π. Plb. 18.3.2; π. καιροὺς εἰς κόλασιν Phld. Ir. p.43 W.: — Med., παρετηροῦντο αὐτὸν οἱ Φαρισαῖοι Luke 6:7 : abs., Vett. Val. 205.13: — Pass., ὑπό τινος Dicaearch. 1.16; to be kept under ob servation, Men. 542.6.
2.. take care, ὅπως μὴ.. D. 18.161; π. ἵνα.. D.H. Dem. 53.
3.. observe carefully, τὸ μέτριον Arist. Rh. 1405b33: — Med, observe religiously, ἡμέρας καὶ μῆνας Galatians 4:10; τὴν τῶν σαββάτων ἡμέραν J. AJ 14.10.25: generally, ὅσα προστάττουσιν [οἱ νόμοι] ἀκριβῶς π. D.C. 53.10.
παρα -τηρέω , -ῶ ,
1. to watch closely, observe narrowly: so mid., τ . πύλας , Acts 9:24; with evil intent, Mark 3:2, Luke 20:20 (absol., v. Field, Notes, 74); so mid., Luke 6:7; Luke 14:1.
2. to observe scrupulously (of days and seasons; cf. Exodus 12:42, Sm.): mid., Galatians 4:10.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
";confidence,"; ";trust,"; confined in the NT to Paul, is condemned by the Atticists, see Lob. Phryn. p. 294 f., Rutherford NP p. 355. The subst. is found in the LXX only in 4Ki. 18:18 [MT 2 Kings 18:19] : for the verb see Thackeray Gr. i. p. 224 f.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
the Week of Proper 8 / Ordinary 13