the Week of Proper 20 / Ordinary 25
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #5014 - ταπείνωσις
- lowness, low estate
- spiritual abasement, leading one to perceive and lament his (moral) littleness and guilt
τᾰπείν-ωσις, εως, ἡ,
lowering, of a movement in dancing, Pl. Lg. 815a.
2. lessening, opp. αὔξησις, Arist. PA 689a25; reduction of a swelling, Gal. 12.816.
3. humiliation, abasement, Zeno Stoic. 1.51 (pl.), Plb. 9.33.10; τ. καὶ δουλεία D.S. 2.45; δυνάμεώς τινων ποιεῖν -σιν Id. 11.87, cf. Plu. Arist. 7; ἀγέννεια καὶ τ. Phld. Herc. 1457.4; low estate, low condition, LXX Genesis 29:32, Luke 1:48, al.
4. lowness of style, Plu. 2.7a, Quint. Inst. 8.3.48.
5. dejection of a planet (cf. ταπείνωμα), Doroth. 86.
ταπείνωσις, ταπεινώσεως, ἡ (ταπεινόω), lowness, low estate (humiliation): Luke 1:48; Acts 8:33 (from Isaiah 53:8); Philippians 3:21 (on which see σῶμα, 1 b.); metaphorically, spiritual abasement, leading one to perceive and lament his (moral) littleness and guilt, James 1:10, see Kern at the passage (In various senses, by Plato, Aristotle, Polybius, Diodorus, Plutarch; the Sept. for עֳנִי.) (See references under the word ταπεινοφροσύνη.)
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
ταωείνωσις , -εως , ἡ
(< ταπεινόω ),
[in LXX chiefly for H6040;]
abasement, humiliation, low estate: Luke 1:48, Acts 8:33 (LXX), Philippians 3:21, James 1:10 (Plat., Arist., and later writers).†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
";sharp"; : the adj. is found in the NT only in Hebrews 4:12 (in the compve), cf. the fragmentary PSI VI. 624.1 (iii/B.C.) τομώτερον, with reference to the culture of vines. Preisigke Wörterb. cites a form τόμιος from P Frankf 5.7, .17 (B.C. 242–1) ὗ ]ς τοκὰς μία, ταύτης δ [έ ]λφακες πέντε, τόμιοι δύο (";two geldings";), and PSI VI. 553.2 (a list of foods—B.C. 260–59) τομίας α ̄.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.