Click to donate today!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #583 - ἀπογράφω
- to write off, copy (from some pattern)
- to enter in a register or records
- spec. to enter in public records the names of men, their property and income
- to enrol
I write off, copy, and in Med., have a thing copied, have a copy made of, τι Pl. Chrm. 156a, Plu. 2.221b; commit to writing, ὀνόματα Pl. Criti. 113b.
II enter in a list,
1. register, ἔθνος ἓν ἕκαστον ἀπέγραφον οἱ γραμματισταί Hdt. 7.100: — Pass., to be registered, παρὰ τοῖς ἄρχουσι Pl. Lg. 914c, cf. Men. 272; πρὸς τὸν ἄρχοντα Isa 6.44: — freq. Med., register as one's own property, ἄρνας δέκα δύο POxy. 246.10 (i A. D.); declare as liable to taxation, PTaur. 1 vii 11 (ii B. C.), etc.
2. Med. also, register, note for one's own use, τὰ ἔτεα Hdt. 2.145, 3.136, cf. Heraclid.Pont. ap. Ath. 11.554e, etc.
3. Med., register oneself, οἱ Ἐλευσῖνάδε ἀπογραψάμενοι Lys. 25.9; πρὸς τὸν ταξίαρχον εἰς τὴν τάξιν X. Cyr. 2.1.18; ἔξεστι πᾶσιν ἀπογραψαμένοις ἐκκλησιάζειν Arist. Pol. 1297a24; φυλῆς ἧστινος ἂν ἀπογράψηται IG 2.54b11 (iv B. C.); ἀπεγράψανθο ἐμ πελτοφόρας ib.7.2823 (Boeot.); ἀ. εἰς ἀγῶνας πυγμὴν ἢ παγκροάτιον enter oneself for.., Plb. 39.1.8; but ἀπογραψάμενος πύκτης AP 11.75 (Lucill.); γέρδιος -όμενος POxy. 252.4 (i A. D.); ἐπὶ στρατηγίαν ἀ. enter as candidate for.., Plu. Sull. 5; also ἀπογράψομαι ἐμαυτόν PGrenf. 1.45.6 (ii B. C.); αὑτοὺς ἀ. Plu. Nic. 14. metaph., subscribe to, τῇ ἐμῇ αἱρέσει Vett.Val. 271.18.
III as Att. law-term,
1 ἀ. τινά enter a person's name for the purpose of accusing him, give in a copy of the charge against him, And. 1.12, etc.; generally, inform against, denounce, X.HG 3.3.11: c. acc. et inf., ἀ. τινὰ μορίαν ἀφανίζειν Lys. 7.29: Med., enter one's name as an accuser, indict, τινά Antipho 6.37: abs., ibid.; of the magistrate who receives the charge, ἀπογράφεσθαι τὴν δίκην Antipho 6.41: — in Pass., of the person accused, ἀ. φόνου δίκην ib.36, Lys. 7.2, etc.
2. hand in a list or inventory of property alleged to belong to the state, but held by a private person, Id. 17.4, al., D. 53.1,2; ἀ. οὐσίαν τινὸς ὡς δημοσίαν οὖσαν Hyp. Eux. 34; generally, give in a list or statement of property, τοῖς ἄρχουσι τὸ πλῆθος τῆς αὑτῶν οὐσίας Pl. Lg. 754d; τὰ χωρία καὶ τὰς οἰκίας D. 22.54: — Pass., 40.22: — Med., have such list given in, see it done, Lys. 12.8,al.; ἀπογραφὴν ἀπογράψασθαι D. 42.16; τίμημα μικρόν Isa 7.39, cf. 11.34; ἀ. ἀπόλειψιν have it registered, D. 30.17. c. acc. pers., ἀπέγραψεν ταῦτα.. ἔχοντα αὑτόν gave a written acknowledgement that he was in possession of.., Id. 27.14; but ἔχειν ib.47: — in Pass., to be entered in the list [of debts], Id. 25.71.
ἀπο -γράφω ,
[in LXX: Judges 8:14, Proverbs 22:20 (H3789), 1 Esdras 8:30, 3 Maccabees 2:29; 3 Maccabees 4:14; 3 Maccabees 6:34; 3 Maccabees 6:38 *;]
1. to write out, copy.
2. to enrol; mid., to enrol oneself: Luke 2:1 (M, Pr., 162; but. v. ICC, in l), Luke 2:3; Luke 2:5; pass., Hebrews 12:23 (v. reff, s.v. ἀπογραφή ).†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
On the general subject we have included everything under the noun above. The verb is used as a ";vox sollennis"; in P Petrie II. 11 (2).3 (mid. iii/B.C.) (= Witkowski.2, p. 6) ἀπογέγραμμαι δὲ ἐπὶ τελώνιον τὸ οἰκόπεδον κτλ., ";I have registered as subject to tax the site bringing 17½ dr. rent."; So P Oxy I. 36ii. 11 (ii/iii A.D.), where, in connexion with the payment of customs, it is laid down that ἐὰν μὲν εὑρεθῇ τ [ι ] ἕτερον ἢ ὃ ἀπεγράψατο, στερήσιμον ἔστω, ";if anything be discovered other than what was declared, it shall be liable to confiscation."; If not, the τελώνης had to repay to the merchant the cost of unloading his ship for examination. It is usually the middle voice that is employed—a fact not unconnected with the personal responsibility already noticed. But in P Ryl II. 103.17, .20 (A.D. 134) we have ἀπεγρά (φη), [ἀπεγ ]ρά [φ ]ησαν, as against ἀπεγράψατο (-αντο) in other places in the document : the former simply gives the fact of the registration, which indeed in one case, that of a slave’s child, was effected by the head of the family.
With the use of the verb in Hebrews 12:23 may be compared Apoc. Pauli (ed. Tischendorf), p. 39 f. : γνῶτε, υἱοὶ τῶν ἀνθρώπων, ὅτι πάντα τὰ πραττόμενα παρ᾽ ὑμῶν καθ᾽ ἡμέραν ἄγγελοι ἀπογράφονται ἐν οὐρανοῖς.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.