the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34
free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #586 - ἀποδεκατόω
- to give, pay a tithe of anything
- to exact receive a tenth from anyone
I tithe, take a tenth of, τι LXX 1 Samuel 8:16; πάντα Luke 18:12; ἀ. τὸν λαόν take tithe of them, Hebrews 7:5; δεκάτην ἀ. τινός LXX Deuteronomy 14:22.
II pay tithe of, τι LXX Genesis 28:22, Matthew 23:23, etc.
ἀποδεκατεύω, Luke 18:12, for ἀποδεκατόω which see; (cf. WHs Appendix, p. 171).
STRONGS NT 586: ἀποδεκατόω ἀποδεκατόω, ἀποδεκατῶ, infinitive present ἀποδεκατοιν, Hebrews 7:5 T Tr WH (cf. Delitzsch at the passage; Buttmann, 44 (38); (Tdf.s note at the passage; WH. Introductory § 410)); (δεκατόω which see); a Biblical and ecclesiastical word; the Sept. for עָשַׂר; to tithe i. e.
1. with the accusative of the thing, to give, pay, a tenth of anything: Matthew 23:23; Luke 11:42; Luke 18:12 where T WH, after manuscripts א* B only, have adopted ἀποδεκατεύω, for which the simple δεκατεύω is more common in Greek writings; (Genesis 28:22; Deuteronomy 14:21 (22)).
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
† ἀπο -δεκατεύω
= ἀποδεκατόω , q.v.,
to tithe, pay a tenth of: Luke 18:12.†
† ἀπο -δεκατοω ,
[in LXX for H6237 in both senses foll., e.g. (1) Genesis 28:22 (2) 1 Samuel 8:15;]
1. c. acc rei, to tithe, pay a tenth of: Matthew 23:23, Luke 11:42.
2. C. acc pers., to exact tithes from: Hebrews 7:5.
3. to decimate (Socr., HE, 573 A; v. Kennedy, Sources, 117).†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.