Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #05060 - נָגַע
1) to touch, reach, strike
1a1) to touch
1a2) to strike
1a3) to reach, extend to
1a4) to be stricken
1a4a) stricken (participle)
1b) (Niphal) to be stricken, be defeated
1c) (Piel) to strike
1d) (Pual) to be stricken (by disease)
1e) (Hiphil) to cause to touch, reach, approach, arrive
1e1) to cause to touch, apply
1e2) to reach, extend, attain, arrive, come
1e3) to approach (of time)
1e4) to befall (of fate)
V) ocn (נגאה NGAh) - Touch: To touch or strike. Also to bring a plague as a touch from God. KJV (150): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Pual, Piel, Participle) touch, came, reach, bring, near, smite, nigh, plague, happen, strike, beat, cast, reach, join, lay - Strongs: H5060 (נָגַע)
Jeff Brenner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
נָגַע fut. יִגַּע, inf. נְגֹעַ, with suff. נָגְעוֹ, also גַּעַת.
(1) to touch, to reach unto. Constr. frequently followed by בְּ Genesis 3:3; Leviticus 5:3, 6:11 11:24, seq.; Daniel 8:5 followed by עַל Isaiah 6:7, and אֶל Numbers 4:15; Haggai 2:12. Specially it is used
(a) to touch any thing, for to violate, to injure, Genesis 26:11, הַנֹּגֵעַ בָּאִישׁ הַזֶּה וּבְאִשְׁתּוֹ “he who touches (injures) this man or his wife;” verse 29 Genesis 26:29; Joshua 9:19.
(b) to touch a woman, to lie with her; followed by בְּ Proverbs 6:29 followed by אֶל Genesis 20:6 (compare ἅπτεσθαι, 1 Corinthians 7:1).
(c) to touch the heart, i.e. to move the mind of any one, 1 Samuel 10:26.
(2) in a local sense, to touch any thing, i.e. to get or reach as far as any thing, followed by בְּ 1 Kings 6:27; Hosea 4:2 עַד Micah 1:9; Isaiah 16:8; Jeremiah 4:10 אֶל Jeremiah 51:9 עַל Judges 20:34, 41 Judges 20:41, compare Job 4:5, 5:19. Hence
(3) to come to any person or thing, followed by בְּ 2 Samuel 5:8 אֶל Jonah 3:6; Daniel 9:21. Absol. to arrive (used of time), Ezra 3:1; Nehemiah 7:72 (7:73 ), compare הִגּיעַ.
(4) intensitive, i.q. Piel, to touch heavily, to smite, to strike, Genesis 32:26, 33 Ge3 2:33especially to strike with a plague (used of God), followed by בְּ 1 Samuel 6:9; Job 19:21. Part. נָגוּעַ stricken, smitten by the stroke of God, Psalms 73:14; Isaiah 53:4. Also to smite, to injure, used of the wind (Arab ضرب), Ezekiel 17:10. [This meaning is taken as primary in Thes.]
Niphal. pass. of Piel, to be smitten, to be beaten, as an army, or rather to feign to be beaten, Joshua 8:15, like הִתְחַלָּה, הִתְעַשֵּׁר, compare Maurer’s note on the passage.
Piel, i.q. Kal No. 4, to strike, especially used of the punishments of God (compare נָגַף, נָכָה) Genesis 12:17; 2 Kings 15:5.
Pual, pass. Psalms 73:5.
(1) causat. to cause to touch, especially in this phrase, הִגִּיעַ לָאָרֶץ, ה׳ עַד עָפָר “to cause to touch the ground, the dust,” i.e. to destroy (buildings) to the foundation; Isaiah 25:12, 26:5 Lamentations 2:2 in a local sense, Isaiah 5:8, “woe to them who join house to house,” i.e. who buy or erect long ranges of houses.
(2) i.q. Kal No. 1. to touch, followed by לְ Exodus 4:25 אֶל Exodus 12:22 עַל Isaiah 6:7.
(3) i.q. Kal No. 2, to reach to anything, followed by לְ Genesis 28:12 עַד. Isaiah 8:8 used of calamities, Ecclesiastes 8:14; Esther 9:26 (followed by אֶל).
(4) i. g. Kal No. 3, to come to, followed by עַד Psalms 107:18 אֶל 1 Samuel 14:9 hence to attain to, followed by לְ Esther 4:14. Absol. to come, used of persons, Esther 6:14 of time, Ezekiel 7:12; Ecclesiastes 12:1. Hence