Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #1869 - דָּרַךְ
1) to tread, bend, lead, march
1a1) to tread, march, march forth
1a2) to tread on, tread upon
1a3) to tread (a press)
1a4) to tread (bend) a bow
1a5) archer, bow-benders (participle)
1b1) to tread, tread down
1b2) to tread (bend with the foot) a bow
1b3) to cause to go, lead, march, tread
2112) krd (דרכ DRK) AC: Tread CO: Road AB: ?: [from: hr- as a path] (eng: direct; track - with the exchange of the t and d; truck - with the exchange of the t and d)
V) krd (דרכ DRK) - Tread: To take a step. A journey as a treading. The stringing of a bow is a treading as the foot is stepped over the bow and using the leg to bend it. KJV (62): (vf: Paal, Hiphil, Participle) tread, bend, lead, archer, come, go, treader, walk, draw, guide, shoot, thresh - Strongs: H1869 (דָּרַךְ)
Nm) krd (דרכ DRK) - Road: A road that is walked as well as the path of life. KJV (705): way, toward, journey, manner - Strongs: H1870 (דֶּרֶךְ)
hm) krdm (מדרכ MDRK) - Step: The distance between the feet of a step. KJV (1): breadth - Strongs: H4096 (מִדְרָךְ)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Perfect 3 masculine singular דָּרַךְ Numbers 24:17 6t.; 3 feminine singular דָּֽרְכָה Joshua 14:9; 2 masculine singular דָּרַכְתָּ Habakkuk 3:15; 1 singular דָּרַכְתִּי Isaiah 63:3; Zechariah 9:13; plural דָּֽרְכוּ Job 22:15 3t.; Imperfect 3 masculine singular יִדְרֹךְ Micah 5:4 6t. + ידרך Jeremiah 51:3 (כתיב ולא קוי); 3 feminine singular תִּדְרֹךְ Deuteronomy 11:24; Joshua 1:3; 2 masculine singular תִּדְרֹךְ Deuteronomy 33:29 2t.; 2 feminine singular תִּדְרְכִי Judges 5:21; 1 singular suffix וְאֶדְרְכֵם Isaiah 63:3; 3 masculine plural יִדְרְכוּ 1 Samuel 5:5, יִדְרְכוּן Psalm 11:2, וַיִּדְרְכוּ Judges 9:27; 2 masculine plural תִּדְרְכוּ Deuteronomy 11:25; Participle active דֹּרֵךְ Amos 4:13 5t.; דּוֺרֵךְ Job 9:8; דֹּרְכִים Jeremiah 25:30; Nehemiah 13:15; דֹּרְכֵי Jeremiah 46:9 5t.; passive feminine דְּרוּכָה Isaiah 21:15; דְּרֻכוֺת Isaiah 5:28; —
1 tread, march, march forth, absolute, תִּדְרְכִי נַפְשִׁי עֹז Judges 5:21; compare דָּרַךְ כּוֺכָב מִיַּעֲקֹב Numbers 24:17 (poem) a star hath marched forth from Jacob.
2 tread upon (land), followed by בְּ Deuteronomy 1:36; Deuteronomy 11:25 (subject person), Joshua 14:9 (subject רֶגֶל) compare Deuteronomy 11:24 = Joshua 1:3 (subject כַּף רַגְלְכֶם); tread in a path, followed by בְּ Isaiah 59:8 (figurative of mode of life); tread in (on) the sea, followed by בְּ Habakkuk 3:15 (but text dubious compare VB); of an invader יִדְרֹךְ בְּאַרְמְנוֺתֵינוּ Micah 5:4 ("" יָבוֺא בְּאַרְצֵנוּ); בִּגְבולֵינוּ׳יִד Micah 5:5 ("" id.); followed by עַל 1 Samuel 5:5 (עַלמִֿפְתַּן דָּגוֺן); Psalm 91:3 (עַלשַֿׁחַל וָפֶתֶן); especially (poetry) עַלבָּֿמֳו֯תֵי אֶרֶץ Micah 1:3, of ׳י, so Amos 4:13, & (עַלבָּֿמֳתֵי יָ֑ם) Job 9:8; of Israel treading on heights of enemies, i.e. subduing them Deuteronomy 33:29. Once followed by accusative (אֲשֶׁר reference אֹרַח) Job 22:15. In technical senses
3 tread wine- (or oil-) press, followed by accusative יְקָבִים Job 24:11 ("" יַצְהִירוּ), גִּתּוֺת Nehemiah 13:15; followed by accusative of thing pressed עֲנָבִים׳ד Amos 9:13; also of product תִּדְרֹךְזַֿיִת ֗֗֗ וְתִירוֺשׁ Micah 6:15; יַיִן בַּיְקָבִים לֹא יִדְרֹךְהַדֹּרֵךְ Isaiah 16:10; followed by בְּגַת Isaiah 63:2 (in simile); absolute Jeremiah 25:30 (simile) Jeremiah 48:33; figurative of judgment Isaiah 63:3 followed by accusative מּוּרָה winepress, subject ׳י, compare Isaiah 63:3 וְאֶדְרְכֵם בְּאַמִּי ("" רמס), i.e. tread them down; so גַּת דָּרַךְ אֲדֹנָילִבְתוּלַת בַּתיְֿהוּדָה Lamentations 1:15.
4 tread (i.e. bend) the bow, followed by accusative קֶשֶׁת Jeremiah 51:8 (אֶליִֿדְרֹךְ יד֯רך הַדֹּרֵךְקַשְׁתּוֺ); figurative of assaults of wicked Psalm 11:2; Psalm 37:14, of judgments of ׳י Psalm 7:18; Lamentations 2:4; Lamentations 3:12; also figurative of Judah as bow in hand of ׳י, כִּי דָרַכְתִּי לִי יְהוּדָה Zechariah 9:13 ("" קֶשֶׁת מִלֵּאתִי אֶפְרַיִם); twice in like meaning with object חֵץ arrow Psalm 58:8 (but on text compare Che critical note.) Psalm 64:4; דֹּרְכֵי קֶשֶׁת = bow-benders, archers Jeremiah 50:14,29; 1 Chronicles 5:18; 1 Chronicles 8:40; 2 Chronicles 14:7; קֶשֶׁת דְּרוּכָה bent bow Isaiah 21:15; קַשְׁתֹֿתָיו דְּרֻכוֺת Isaiah 5:28.
Hiph`il Perfect וְהִדְרִיךְ Isaiah 11:15; suffix הִדְרִיכָהּ Jeremiah 51:33 (where many Infinitive construct) compare RS J Ph xvi. (1888) 72; 1 singular suffix הִדְרַכְתִּיךָ Proverbs 4:11; 3 plural suffix הִדְרִיכֻ֑הוּ Judges 20:43, הִדְרִיכוּהוּ Job 28:8; Imperfect יַדְרֵךְ Psalm 25:9, suffix יַדְרִכֵנִי Habakkuk 3:19; וַיַּדְרִיכֵם Psalm 107:7; 1 singular suffix אַדְרִיכֵם Isaiah 42:16; וַיַּדְרְכוּ Jeremiah 9:2 (compare Ges§ 53, 3, R 4); Imperative masculine singular suffix הַדְרִיכֵנִי Psalm 25:5; Psalm 119:35; Infinitive construct see above; Participle suffix מַדְרִיכְךָ Isaiah 48:17; —
1 tread, tread down, of treading down enemy in battle Judges 20:43; of treading a path Job 28:8; levelling threshing-floor Jeremiah 51:33 (all followed by suffix).
2 tread (bend) the bow (= Qal 4), only figurative וַיַּדְרְכוּ אֶתלְֿשׁוֺנָם קַשְׁתָּםשֶׁקֶר Jeremiah 9:2 and they have bent their tongue as their bow in falsehood.
3 causative, cause to tread or march, lead, returning exiles Isaiah 11:15 (subject ׳י; no object expressed); compare וַיַּדְרִיכֵם בְּדֶרֶךְיְשָׁרָה Psalm 107:7 and he led them in a straight way; see also Isaiah 42:16 ("" הוֺלִיךְ); with a moral application הִדְרַכְתִּיךָ בְּמַעְגְּלֵייֿשֶׁר Proverbs 4:11; compare Psalm 119:35 הַדְרִיכֵנִי בִּנְתִיב מִצְוֺתֶיךָ lead me in the path of thy commandments; Psalm 25:5 בַּאֲמִתֶּ֑ךָ "" (לַמְּדֵנִיׅ compare Psalm 25:9 יְלַמֵּד דַּרְכּוֺ) בַּמִּשְׁמָּט, Isaiah 48:17 בְּדֶרֶךְ תֵּלֵךְ "" (לְהוֺעִל מְלַמֶּדְךָׅ; once of giving security & triumph עַלבָּֿמוֺתַי יַדְרִכֵנִי Habakkuk 3:19 upon mine heights he maketh me tread (compare Qal 2).
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights reserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
דָּרַךְ fut. יִדְרֹךְ
(1) to tread with the feet, to trample, treten. (Syr. & Ch. id. Closely cognate דָּרַג, درج; طَرِيقُ a way, Gr. τρέχω: also of this family are דָּרַשׁ, درس pr. to rub, beat, pound; טָרַר: in the western languages, tero, δρέμω, trappen, treten, in all of which the initial letters tr imitate the sound of the feet when put forcibly on the ground, especially when breaking anything by trampling on it, TReTen, zertreten). Specially
(a) דָּרַךְ יֶקֶב Job 24:11, or גַּת, בְּגַת Lamentations 1:15; Isaiah 63:2, to tread a press, to express the wine or oil; also דָּרַךְ יַיִן בַּיְקָבִים Isaiah 16:10 דָּרַךְ זַיִת Micah 6:15, and simply דָּרַךְ keltern. Judges 9:27; Jeremiah 25:30. Metaph. to tread down enemies as if they were grapes, Isaiah 63:3 referred to also in Judges 5:21, אָז תִּדְרְכִי נַפְשִׁי עֹז “then, my soul, thou didst tread down strength,” i.e. strong enemies.
(b) דָּרַךְ קֶשֶׁת to tread a bow (to bend a bow), i.e. to bend it by putting the foot upon it, which is done when the bow is very large and strong (Arrian. Ind. 16. Diod. Sic. iii. 8). Psalms 7:13, 11:2 37:14 1 Chronicles 5:18, 8:40 2 Chronicles 14:7; Isaiah 5:28, etc. The origin of the expression being overlooked, there is also said דָּרַךְ חִצִּים Psalms 58:8, 64:4.
(2) Specially, to tread a way or place, by going or walking to it, hence to enter a place, Micah 5:4 in a place, followed by בְּ, Deuteronomy 11:24, 25 Deuteronomy 11:25; Joshua 1:3, 14:9 Isaiah 59:8 followed by acc. Job 22:15 followed by עַל 1 Samuel 5:5 followed by מִן to walk out from, Numbers 24:17. דָּרַךְ עַל is also to walk or go upon anything, Job 9:8; Psalms 91:13.
(1) causat. of Kal No. 2, to cause to go, walk. Isaiah 11:15, וְהִדְרִיךְ בַּנְּעָלִים “and he will cause them to walk (through the bed of the Euphrates) in shoes,” i.e. with them dry, hardly wetted. Followed by בְּ, to cause to go in any particular way, Psalms 107:7, וַיַּדְרִיכֵם בְּדֶרֶךְ יְשָׁרָה “and he made them go in a straight way,” he led them in a straight way. Psalm 119:35 Isaiah 42:16, 48:17 Proverbs 4:11. Psalms 25:5, הַדְרִיכֵנִי בַאֲמִתֶּךָ “cause me to walk in thy truth.” Psalms 25:9.
(2) i.q. Kal No. 1, to tread a threshing floor, i.e. the grain on it, Jeremiah 51:33 also to tread (bend) a bow, but metaph. Jeremiah 9:2, וַיַּדְרְכוּ אֶת־לְשׁוֹנָם קַשְׁתָּם שֶׁקֶר “they bend their tongue (as) their bow for lies;” also i.q. Kal No. 2, to tread a way, to walk it, poetically with an acc. Job 28:8.
(3) i.q. Arab. أَدْرَكَ and Syr. Aph. to overtake any one, followed by an acc. Judges 20:43. Hence מִדְרָךְ and the following words
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.