the First Week of Advent
Click here to join the effort!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #481 - אָלַם
1) to bind
1a1) to be dumb
1a2) to be bound
1b) (Piel) binding (participle)
1266) ml (למ LM) AC: Bind CO: Staff AB: ?: The pictograph l is a picture of a shepherd staff, the m is a picture of water representing might. Combined these mean "staff of might". The shepherd always carried his staff for guiding, leading and protecting the flock. The flock was bound to the shepherd, as the staff was a sign of his authority over the sheep. The yoke was a staff laid across the shoulders of two oxen. The oxen were then tied to the yokes at the neck, binding the two together for plowing or pulling a cart. A people bound together. A wound bound with bandages.
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Niph`al ( be bound =) be dumb, Perfect 3 feminine singular נֶאֱלָ֑מָה Isaiah 53:7; וְנֶאֱלַמְתָּ֫ Ezekiel 3:26, etc.; Imperfect 2 masculine singular תֵּאָלֵם Ezekiel 24:27; 3 feminine plural תֵּאָלַמְנָה Psalm 31:19. — 1 be dumb, i.e. silent Psalm 39:3 דוּמִיָּה׳נ ("" הֶחֱשֵׁיתִי); compare Psalm 39:10 ("" לֹא אֶפְתַּחמִּֿי); simile of sheep Isaiah 53:7 ("" id.); be dumb, i.e. unable to speak Ezekiel 3:26 (result of וּלְשׁוֺנְךָ אַדְבִּיק אֶלחִֿכָּ֑ךָ) compare Ezekiel 24:27 יִמָּתַח מִּיךָ ֗֗֗ וּתְדַבֵּר וְלֹא תֵאָלֵם עוֺד; Ezekiel 33:22 וַיִּפְתַּח מִּי וְלֹא נֶאֱלַמְתִּי עוֺד; also Daniel 10:15 (compare Daniel 10:16); be made dumb subject שִׂפְתֵי שָׁ֑קֶר lying lips Psalm 31:19 ("" יִדְּמוּ לִשְׁאוֺל Psalm 31:18).
Pi`el Participle bind Genesis 37:7 (E) מְאַלְּמִים אֲלֻמִּים binding sheaves.
אָלַם a root not used in Kal.
(1) to bind, comp. Piel and אֲלֻמָּה.
(2) passive, to be bound, sc. the tongue, i.e. to be dumb, to be silent; see Niph. and the nouns אֵלֶם, אִלֵּם, אַלְמֹנִי. To be silent, dumb, as if tongue-tied (δεσμὸς τῆς γλώσσης, Mark 7:35), comp. Pers. زبن بستن to bind the tongue, for to be silent, and Gr. φιμοῦσθαι.
(3) to be solitary, forsaken, widowed, for a solitary person is silent as he has no companion with whom to talk; comp. بكم to be mute, to be unmarried. Hence are derived אַלְמָן, אַלְמָנָה, אַלְמֹן, אַלְמָנוּה.
(1) to be dumb, mute, Psalms 31:19, 39:3, 10 Psalms 39:10; Isaiah 53:7.
(2) to be silent, Ezekiel 33:22.
Piel, to bind together, Genesis 37:7.