the Second Week of Advent
Click here to join the effort!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #539 - אָמַן
1) to support, confirm, be faithful
1a1) to support, confirm, be faithful, uphold, nourish
1a1a) foster-father (substantive)
1a1b) foster-mother, nurse
1a1c) pillars, supporters of the door
1b1) to be established, be faithful, be carried, make firm
1b1a) to be carried by a nurse
1b1b) made firm, sure, lasting
1b1c) confirmed, established, sure
1b1d) verified, confirmed
1b1e) reliable, faithful, trusty
1c1) to stand firm, to trust, to be certain, to believe in
1c1a) stand firm
1c1b) trust, believe
1290) nm (מנ MN) AC: Firm CO: Kind AB: Sure: The pictograph m is a picture of water or other liquid such as blood, the n is a picture of a seed representing continuance. Combined these mean "blood continues". Each species (kind) continues by passing its blood to the following generation, which comes from the parent. Also the idea of strength through the blood. (eng: man; name - a reversal of the letters; animal; omen)
C) nma (אמנ AMN) AC: Firm CO: Pillar AB: ?: Something that grabs hold or supports something else. The passing of strength or skill to the next generation. A large group of the same kind are stronger than one.
V) na (אמנ AMN) - Firm: To stand firm as a support. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (111): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil) believe, assurance, faithful, sure, establish, trust, verify, steadfast, continuance, father, bring up, nurse, stand, fail - Strongs: H539 (אָמַן), H540 (אֲמַן)
V) enm (מנה MNH) - Number: To count or number a set of things or people. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (33): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Pual, Piel, Participle) number, prepare, appoint, tell, count, set - Strongs: H4483 (מְנָא), H4487 (מָנָה)
Nm ) nim (מינ MYN) - I. Kind:A category of species. [df: ynm]II. From:[Hebrew and Aramaic; The short form " m " is used as a prefix meaning "from"] KJV (165): kind, among, with, from, since, after, at, by, whether, of, part, before, because, therefore, out, for, than - Strongs: H4327 (מִין), H4480 (מִנֵּי), H4481 (מִן)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Participle אֹמֵן —
1 as verb support, nourish 2 Kings 10:1,5; Esther 2:7,
2 as substantive foster-father Numbers 11:12 (J) Isaiah 49:23.
3אֹמֶנֶת foster-mother, nurse Ruth 4:16; 2 Samuel 4:4.
4 אֹמְנוֺת pillars, supporters of the door 2 Kings 18:16. Participle passive a. הָאֱמֻנִים those brought up (in scarlet) Lamentations 4:5.
b.אֱמוּנִים intransitive faithful (as firm, stable) as substantive masculine faithful ones Psalm 12:2 (> ᵐ5ᵑ6 and others faithfulness) 2 Samuel 20:19 (compare Arabic be faithful, trust in, be secure); Psalm 31:24 faithful ones ׳י Keepeth, ׳אֱמוּנִים נֹצֵר י; but ׳א is here taken by ᵐ5 Ri De Che as abstract noun see אֵמֻן. Niph`al נֶאֱמַן Proverbs 11:13 + (6 t); Imperfect יֵאָמֵן, יֵאָ֫מֶן 1 Kings 8:26 + (9t.); Participle נֶאֱמָן Proverbs 25:13 + ( 16t.) נֶאֱמָנָה Isaiah 1:21 + ( 4t.); נֶאֱמֶנֶת Psalm 89:29; נֶאֱמָנִים Proverbs 27:6 + (9t.); נֶאֱמָנוֺת Deuteronomy 28:59. 1. carried by a nurse Isaiah 60:4.
2 made firm, sure, lasting: place Isaiah 22:23,25; name 1 Chronicles 17:24; waters Isaiah 33:16; Jeremiah 15:18; an event Hosea 5:9; sickness Deuteronomy 2:8:59; mercy Isaiah 55:3.
3 confirmed, established, sure: kingdom 2 Samuel 7:16; house, dynasty 1 Samuel 2:35; 1 Samuel 25:28; 1 Kings 11:38; 1 Chronicles 17:23; prophet Samuel 1 Samuel 3:20; compare word-play אִם לֹא תַאֲמִינוּ לֹא תֵאָמֵנוּ = if ye believe not (have not firm confidence) ye will not be confirmed Isaiah 7:9; וְתֵאָמֵנוּ׳הַאֲמִינוּ בי = believe in Yahweh and ye will be confirmed 2 Chronicles 20:20. 4. verified, confirmed: words of God 1 Kings 8:26; 2 Chronicles 1:9; 6:17; his precepts Psalm 111:7; testimonies Psalm 19:8; Psalm 93:5; covenant Psalm 89:29; words of men Genesis 42:20 (E). 5. reliable, faithful, trusty: persons 1 Samuel 2:35; 1 Samuel 22:14; Job 12:20; Psalm 89:38; Psalm 101:6; Proverbs 25:13; Isaiah 8:2; Nehemiah 13:13; a city Isaiah 1:21; האל הנאמן the faithful God Deuteronomy 7:9 compare Isaiah 49:7; נֶאֱמַן רוּחַ faithful in spirit (disposition) Proverbs 11:13; לְבָבוֺ נֶאֱמָן his heart faith-ful Nehemiah 9:8; עֵד אֱמֶת וְנֶאֱמָן true and faithful witness Jeremiah 42:5; נאמנים פצעי אוהב faithful the wounds of a loving one Proverbs 27:6; with נֵת Psalm 78:8; עִם Hosea 12:1; בְּ of thing Psalm 78:37; בְּכָלבֵּֿיתִי in all my house (of Moses) Numbers 12:7 (E). Hiph`il הֶאֱמִין Genesis 45:26 + (18t.); Imperfect יַאֲמִין, יַאֲמֵן Job 15:31 + (30t.); Imperative הַאֲמִינוּ 2 Chronicles 20:20 + (2t.); Participle מַאֲמִין Deuteronomy 1:32; Joshua 25:16.
4 stand firm Job 39:24 (with negative of the horse when the trumpet sounds Di De MV RVm; but neither believeth Revelation , hardly trusts Da). 2. trust, believe: ( a) absolute Exodus 4:31 (J) Isaiah 7:9; Isaiah 28:16; Habakkuk 1:5; Psalm 116:10; Job 29:24; ( b) with ל of person, trust to, believe Genesis 45:26 (E) Exodus 4:1,8 (J) Jeremiah 40:14; 2 Chronicles 32:15; with God Deuteronomy 9:23; Isaiah 43:10; ל of thing Exodus 4:8,9 (J) Psalm 106:24; 1 Kings 10:7; 2 Chronicles 9:6; Isaiah 53:1; Proverbs 14:15; ( c) with ב of person, trust in, believe in Exodus 19:9 (J) 1 Samuel 27:12; 2 Chronicles 20:20; Job 4:18; Job 15:15; Proverbs 26:25; Jeremiah 12:6; Micah 7:5; the usual construction with God Genesis 15:6 (E) Exodus 14:31; Numbers 14:11 (J) Numbers 20:12 (P) Deuteronomy 1:32; 2 Kings 17:14; 2 Chronicles 20:20; Psalm 78:22; Jonah 3:5; with ב of thing Deuteronomy 28:66; Job 15:31; Job 24:22; Job 39:12; Psalm 78:32; Psalm 106:12; Psalm 119:66; ( d) with כִּי trust or believe that Exodus 4:5 (J) Job 9:16; Lamentations 4:12; ( e) so with infin. Job 15:22; Psalm 27:13; also trust to do a thing, almost = allow, Judges 11:20.
[אֲמַן] verb Haph`el trust (Biblical Hebrew); — Perfect 3 masculine singular חֵימִן בֵּאלָחֵהּ Daniel 6:24; Passive participle מְחֵימַן trusty, trustworthy, of person Daniel 6:5, interpretation Daniel 2:45.
(1) prop. to prop, to stay, to sustain, to support, ftüßen, unterftüszlig;en, specially
(a) to support with the arm, to carry a child, Numbers 11:12; Lamentations 4:5. Part. אֹמֵן παιδαγωγός, one who carries and cares for a child, Nu. loc. cit.; Isaiah 49:23 also, one who guards and brings up, Esther 2:7. 2 Kings 10:1, 2 Kings 10:5 (compare כִּלְכֵּל; Arab. مان to sustain, to nourish), f. אֹמֶנֶת nurse, Ruth 4:16; 2 Samuel 4:4.
(b) to found, to build up (kindred to כָּנָה, אֶבֶן). Hence אָמָן, אָמוֹן architect, workman, Baumeifter; אֹמְנָה column, Stüße.
(2) intrans. med. E. to be stayed up; hence to be firm, unshaken, such as one may safely lean on. Metaph. to be faithful. Part. pass. אֱמוּנִים faithful ones, πιστοί, Psalms 12:2, 31:24. Compare סָמוּךְ Isaiah 26:3. Arab. أَمُنَ to be faithful; أَمَنَ is to lean and confide on any one; أَمِنَ to trust, to be secure.
(1) to support, to bear in the arms, as children, Isaiah 60:4. Compare Kal No. 1.
(2) to be founded, firm, stable, e.g. of a house, 1 Samuel 2:35, 25:28 2 Samuel 7:16; 1 Kings 11:38 of a firm place where a nail is driven in, Isaiah 22:23, 25 Isaiah 22:25 of a firm and stable condition, Isaiah 7:9.
(3) to be of long continuance, perennial, of water (opp. to אַכְזָב), Isaiah 33:16; Jeremiah 15:18 of sickness, Deuteronomy 28:59 of a covenant, Psalms 89:29.
(4) metaph. to be faithful, trustworthy, sure, such that any one can lean upon (auf den man bauen kann); of a servant, 1 Samuel 22:14; Numbers 12:7 a messenger, Proverbs 25:13 a witness, Jeremiah 42:5; Isaiah 8:2 of God, Deuteronomy 7:9; Isaiah 49:7; Hosea 12:1.- Psalms 78:8, לֹא נֶאֶמְנָה אֶת־אֵל רוּחוֹ “their spirit was not faithful with God.” Part. נֶאֱמָן upright. Proverbs 11:13, 27:6, נֶאֱמָנִים פִּצְעֵי אֹהֵב “upright are the wounds of a friend,” i.e. proceeding from sincerity of mind, ehr=lich=gutgemeint. Wounds are here used for severe rebukes. Also, a man of approved wisdom, Job 12:20.
(5) to be sure, certain, Hosea 5:9 of the word of God, Psalms 19:8 also, to be found true, confirmed, Genesis 42:20; 1 Kings 8:26.
(1) to lean upon, to build upon (auf etwas bauen), prop. Isaiah 28:16, “he that leaneth thereon [believeth in him] shall not flee away.” Generally
(2) figuratively to trust, to confide in (like the Arab. آمَنَ with ب). Job 4:18, הֵן בַּעֲבָדָיו לֹא יַאֲמין “behold he trusteth not in his servants;” Job 15:15, 39:12 Psalms 78:22, 32 Psalms 78:32, 119:66. הֶאֱמִין בַּיהֹוָה “he trusted in the Lord,” Genesis 15:6 לֹא הבְּ֞חַיָּין “to have no confidence for one’s life,” i.e. to fear for one’s life, Deuteronomy 28:66.
(3) to believe, absol. Isaiah 7:9 commonly followed by לְ of person and thing, Genesis 45:26; Exodus 4:1,, Proverbs 14:15; Psalms 106:24 followed by בִּי Exodus 4:5; Job 9:16 also with an inf. Job 15:22, “he does not believe (hope) that he shall escape out of darkness (terrors).”
(4) perhaps intrans. to stand firm, still, Job 39:24, “she does not stand still where the sound of the trumpet is heard.” Comp. Virg. Georg. iii. 83. From the common use of language it might be rendered, “he so longs for the battle that he hardly believes his own ears for joy.” Compare Job 9:16, 29:24.
[Deriv. אָמָן-אֻמְנָם, אָמוֹן, אֵמוּן, אֱמוּנָה, אֱמֶת, הֵימָן.]
II. אָמַן Hiphil הֶאֱמִין i.q. הֵימִין to turn to the right, Isaiah 30:21.