Consider helping today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #6960 - קָוָה
1) to wait, look for, hope, expect
1a) (Qal) waiting (participle)
1b1) to wait or look eagerly for
1b2) to lie in wait for
1b3) to wait for, linger for
2) to collect, bind together
2a) (Niphal) to be collected
hm) efqm (מקוה MQWH) - I. Collection:A collection of water (a pool, pond or sea) or horses (herd) . II. Waiting:Held back waiting for something. KJV (12): yarn, hope, gathering, pool, plenty, abiding - Strongs: H4723 (מִקְוֵא)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
(1) prop. like the Arab. قَوىَ to twist, to bind; whence قُوَّةُ a rope, Hebr. קָו and תִּקְוָה. Hence
(2) to be strong, robust (for the notion of binding fast, tying fast, is applied to strength. See חוּל, חָזַק, No. 3 also the Germ. Stränge, i.e. ropes, ftrenge, and anftrengen, all of which are derived from the notion of binding fast). Hence קָו No. 2.
(3) to expect, to await (perhaps from enduring, remaining, which differs but little from the notion of strength; comp. חוּל No. 7), with acc. part. Kal קֹוֶה Psalms 25:3, 37:9 69:7 see Piel.
Piel קִוָּה i.q. Kal No. 3, to expect anything; followed by an acc. Job 30:26 אֶל Psalms 27:14, 37:34 לְ Jeremiah 8:15, 14:19. Specially
(a) קִוָּה אֶת־יְהֹוָה Psalms 25:5, 39:8 40:2 ק׳ לַיהוָֹה Proverbs 20:22 אֶל יְיָ Psalms 27:14, 37:34, to expect Jehovah, i.e. his aid, to fix one’s hope on him.
(b) to lie in wait for any one; followed by a dat. Psalms 119:95 accus. (נֶפֶשׁ) Psalms 56:7.
Niphal, to be gathered together (prop. mutually to expect one another, see Piel; or as others take it, to be wound together; See Kal No. I), used of nations, Jeremiah 3:17 of waters, Genesis 1:9.
Derivatives, קָו, מִקְוֶה, מִקְוָה, תִּקְוָה, and