Click here to join the effort!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #7812 - שָׁחָה
1) to bow down
1a) (Qal) to bow down
1b) (Hiphil) to depress (figuratively)
1c1) to bow down, prostrate oneself
1c1a) before superior in homage
1c1b) before God in worship
1c1c) before false gods
1c1d) before angel
1468) hs (סההה ShHh) AC: Sink CO: Pit AB: ?: The pictograph s is a picture of the teeth representing sharpness, the h is a picture of wall. Combined these mean "sharp walls". A pit dug into the ground for the purpose of trapping someone or something. To go down or sink down as going into the pit.
V) ehs (סהההה ShHhH) - Bow: To pay homage to another one by bowing low or getting on the knees with the face to the ground. KJV (172): (vf: Paal, Hiphil, Hitpael) worship, bow, obeisance, reverence, fall stoop, crouch - Strongs: H7812 (שָׁחָה)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
שָׁחָה (compare שׁוּחַ and שָׁחַח)
(1) to bow oneself down, Isaiah 51:23 (Chald. id. and more frequent).
(2) to sink down, to be depressed. Compare derivatives שְׁחוּת, שְׁחִית.
Hiphil, הִשְׁחָה to depress, metaph. the heart, Proverbs 12:25.
Hithpalel, הִשְׁתַּחֲוָה (with the third radical doubled, like נַאֲוֶה, נָאוֶה from the root נָאָה) fut. apoc. יִשְׁתַּחוּ, in pause יִשְׁתָּ֫חוּ.
(1) to prostrate oneself before any one out of honour, προσκυνεῖν, followed by לְ of pers. Genesis 23:7, 37:7, Genesis 37:9, 10 Genesis 37:10 more rarely לִפְנֵי Genesis 23:12 עַל Leviticus 26:1. Those who used this mode of salutation fell on their knees and touched the ground with the forehead (whence there is often added אַפַּיִם אַרְצָה Genesis 19:1, 42:6 48:12 ), and this honour was not only shown to superiors, such as kings and princes, 2 Samuel 9:8 but also to equals; Genesis 23:7, 37:7, Genesis 37:9, 10 Genesis 37:10[?]; but especially
(2) in worshipping a deity; hence to honour God with prayers, Genesis 22:5; 1 Samuel 1:3 even without prostration of body, Genesis 47:31; 1 Kings 1:47.
(3) to do homage, to submit oneself. Psalms 45:12, “(the king) is thy lord, הִשְׁתַּחֲוִי לוֹ render homage to him” [this king is Christ, who is to be worshipped as being God over all]. Inf. Ch. הִשְׁתַּחֲוָיָה 2 Kings 5:18. As to מִשְׁתַּחֲוִיתֶם, see Analyt. Ind.
Derivatives, see under Kal No. 2.
the Second Week of Advent