Click here to join the effort!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #7993 - שָׁלַךְ
1) to throw, cast, hurl, fling
1a1) to throw, cast, throw away, cast off, shed, cast down
1a2) to cast (lots) (figuratively)
1b1) to be thrown, be cast
1b2) to be cast forth or out
1b3) to be cast down
1b4) to be cast (metaphorically)
Jeff Brenner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
שָׁלַךְ not used in Kal (cognate to שָׁלַח).
(1) to cast, to throw, Genesis 21:15; Numbers 35:20, 22 Numbers 35:22 to cast away, 2 Kings 7:15; Ezekiel 20:8; Ecclesiastes 3:6 (opp. to שָׁמַר to retain); to cast about, as stones, Ecclesiastes 3:5 (opp. to כָּנַס to collect). Const. followed by אֶל of the place into which anything is cast (into a pit, into water, into fire), Genesis 37:22; Numbers 19:6; Deuteronomy 9:21; Jeremiah 26:23 also, followed by בְּ Genesis 37:20; Exodus 32:24; Micah 7:19 followed by עַל of the person at whom anything is cast (auf jem werfen), Judges 9:53. Job 27:22, יַשְׁלֵךְ עָלָיו “he will cast upon him,” sc. arrows, he will shoot at him; followed by לְ to cast anything (to a dog), Exodus 22:30 followed by מִן of place, to cast (any person or thing) out of a place, Nehemiah 13:8; Deuteronomy 29:27 to pluck, Job 29:17, מִשִּׁנָּיו אַשְׁלִיךְ טֶרֶף “from his teeth I plucked the prey;” followed by מִמֶּנּוּ, מֵעָלָיו to cast away, throw off (von fich werfen), Psalms 2:3; Ezekiel 18:31.-The following phrases are figuratively used
(a) הִשְׁלִיךְ נַפְשׁוֹ מִנֶּגֶד i.e. to expose one’s life to the greatest danger; Gr. παραβάλλεσθαι τὴν ψυχήν, Il. ix. 322 (whence the Lat. parabolanus).
(b) הִשְׁלִיךְ אַחֲרָיו Psalms 50:17, and אַחֲרֵי גַוּוֹ to cast (anything) behind one, behind one’s back, i.e. to neglect, to despise, 1 Kings 14:9; Nehemiah 9:26; Isaiah 38:17; Ezekiel 23:35. (As to the same phrase in Arabic, see my Comment. on Isa. loc. cit.)
(c) הִשְׁלִיךְ עַל יְיָ to cast anything upon God, i.e. to commit to his care, Psalms 55:23 (compare 37:5 ).
(d) יְיָ הִשְׁלִיךְ פּ׳ מֵעַל פָּנָיו God has rejected or expelled any one from his presence, i.e. he has rejected him, cast him off, 2 Kings 13:23, 17:20 24:20 2 Chronicles 7:20; Jeremiah 7:15.
(2) to cast down, to overthrow, as a house, Jeremiah 9:18. Metaph. Job 18:7, וְתַשְׁלִיכֵהוּ עֲצָתוֹ “and his own counsel shall cast him down.”
Hophal הָשְׁלַךְ and הֻשְׁלַךְ
(1) to be cast, to be thrown, to be cast out, Isaiah 14:19 (where we must not join, “thou art cast out from thy sepulchre,” but, “thou art cast out without thy sepulchre,” i.e. which was thy due); followed by בְּ and אֶל of place 2 Samuel 20:21; Jeremiah 14:16; Ezekiel 16:5 followed by לְ to be cast forth (delivered) to any one, Jeremiah 36:30. Metaph. Psalms 22:11, עָלֶיךָ הָשְׁלַכְתִי מֵרֶחֶם “I was cast upon thee from the womb,” i.e. I committed my affairs to thee.
(2) pass. of Hiphil No. 2, Daniel 8:11. Hence
the Week of Proper 24 / Ordinary 29