Click here to get started today!
Morrish Bible Dictionary
There are several Hebrew words thus translated, but some of them occur but once, as
1. In Psalm 23:5 , "Thou anointest my head with oil," signifying made fat, the oil used plentifully.
2. Psalm 92:10 , "I shall be anointed with fresh oil," from 'to pour over,' 'overflow with' oil.
3. Isaiah 10:27 , "the yoke shall be destroyed because of the anointing (text obscure).
4. Zechariah 4:14 , "these are the two anointed ones," lit . 'sons of oil,' cf. Revelation 11:4 .
5. suk , 'to anoint the body after washing,' like ἀλείφω in the N.T., is commonly used for the practice among the orientals of anointing the body, or its parts, for comfort, appearance, friendliness, healing, or burial. For the ordinary toilet cf. Ruth 3:3; 2 Samuel 12:20; 2 Chronicles 28:15; Matthew 6:17 . To neglect this was a sign of mourning 2 Samuel 14:2; Daniel 10:3 . As an act of courtesy cf. Luke 7:46; John 12:3; the sick were also anointed, Mark 6:13; James 5:14; also the dead body, Mark 14:8; Mark 16:1 . One of the punishments on Israel was that the olives should not yield oil for the anointing. Deuteronomy 28:40; Micah 6:15 .
6. mashach, χρίω, 'to spread over, to anoint' for an office, etc. Kings were anointed: Saul, David, Solomon, Joash, Jehu, and Hazael are examples. Prophets were anointed; for Psalm 105:15 should read'anointed ones;' and cf. 1 Kings 19:16 . Special oil made according to God's directions was used for the anointing of the priests . Exodus 30:30; Exodus 40:13 . With the same oil the tabernacle and its vessels were anointed. Exodus 40:9,10 . The meat offering was anointed with oil, Leviticus 2:1,4 , typical of the pure humanity of the Lord Jesus, and of His being sealed by the Holy Spirit. The cleansed leper was anointed with oil. Leviticus 14:17,18 .
Whether this last anointing refers to persons or things and whether the oil is that specially prepared or common oil, the sanctification and power of the Holy Spirit is invariably typified thereby. Anointing with oil for consecration to office is not now enjoined on believers, for they are anointed with the Holy Spirit, and are also priests to God. John reminds even the babes in Christ that they have an unction from the Holy One, and the anointing (the same word, χρίσμα)abideth in them. 1 John 2:20,27 . Thus, as in the O.T., the kings, prophets, and priests were anointed as set apart for God, so the Christian is by the Holy Spirit sanctified for God , both as to his position and service. See THE ANOINTED.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Morrish, George. Entry for 'Anointing'. Morrish Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/mbd/a/anointing.html. 1897.