Click to donate today!
Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
Cross of Boundary (Wayside, and Sanctuary).
Crosses engraved on boundary stones are mentioned as early as 807; and standing crosses for the same purposes are frequently alluded to in old English cartularies. Near Hereford there is a good example, of the 14th century. At Bury and Beverley, the whole precihct was distinguished at the cardinal points of the compass by tall crosses. In Cornwall and the Isle of Man crosses are very common; in the former region they sometimes have a rounded head. One at Towednack has a curious double-incised cross, like a patriarchal cross, which may mark the boundary of a religious house. St. Burian's has a church-yard cross of the 13th or 14th century; and at a little distance a sanctuary cross, with a crucifix. At Battel, as late as the 17th century, the boundaries were marked by watch crosses. There is a wayside cross, of the 14th century, in Burleigh Park.
These files are public domain.
McClintock, John. Strong, James. Entry for 'Cross of Boundary (Wayside, and Sanctuary).'. Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/tce/c/cross-of-boundary-wayside-and-sanctuary.html. Harper & Brothers. New York. 1870.