the First Week of Advent
Click to donate today!
Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
A name applied in the 4th century to oil brought to Europe from Jerusalem. "It was carried in cotton within little phials, and distributed to the faithful at a time when relics were sparingly distributed." In Gregory of Tour's time, oil blessed at saints' tombs was very general, and in St. Gregory's day oil taken from lamps which burned before the graves of martyrs in the Catacombs was called "holy oil." "Several of these phials, which Gregory the Great gave to queen Theodolinda, are preserved at Monza." — Walcott, Sacred Archaeol. p. 313, 314. (See AMPULLA); (See CHRISMI).
These files are public domain.
McClintock, John. Strong, James. Entry for 'Holy Oil'. Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature. https://www.studylight.org/​encyclopedias/​eng/​tce/​h/holy-oil.html. Harper & Brothers. New York. 1870.