Click to donate today!
Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
Jabez, Isaac ben-Salomo ben-Isaac ben-Joseph
a Jewish commentator of some note, flourished in the 15th century. Of his personal history we are uninformed, but his works, of great celebrity in the 15th century, still continue to be considered valuable contributions to exegetical literature; and Frankfurter, in his "Rabbinic Bible," inserted the following, which are, however, rather compilations from different expositors than the original productions of Jabez:
(1) יְהוָֹה תהלוֹה, or Commentary on the Psalms: —
(2) למודי יהוה , or Commentary on Proverbs: —
(3) יראת שדי, or Commentary on Proverbs: —
(4) קדש קדשים, or Commentary on the Song of Songs: —
(5) צמח צדיק, or Commentary on Ruth: —
(6) צדקת תמים, or Commentary on Lamentations: —
(7) שערי מדע, or Commentary on the Book of Ecclesiastes: —
(8) עטרת שלום , or Commentary on the Book of Esther: —
(9) ברכת ישרים, or Commentary on Daniel: —
(10) מושיע חוסים, or Commentary on Ezra and Nehemiah. Besides these, Jabez wrote יפק רצון, or homiletical Commentary on the Haphtaroth, or Sabbatic Lessons from the prophets (Belvidere, near Constantinople, 1593, folio): המנהה סלת, or Commentary on the Pentateuch. See W. — Biblioth. Hebraea, 1, 694; 3:617 sq.; 4:886; Furst, Biblioth. Jued. 2, 2; Steinschneider, Catalogus Libr. in Biblioth. Bodl. col. 1125; C. D. Ginsburg, in Kitto, s.v.
These files are public domain.
McClintock, John. Strong, James. Entry for 'Jabez, Isaac ben-Salomo ben-Isaac ben-Joseph'. Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/tce/j/jabez-isaac-ben-salomo-ben-isaac-ben-joseph.html. Harper & Brothers. New York. 1870.