Click here to get started today!
Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
Vaison, Council of (Conciliun Vasense)
Vaison, Council Of (Conciliun Vasense)
Vaison is a village of France, in Vauclire, fifteen miles northeast of Orange, on the Ouveze. Two ecclesiastical councils were held there, as follows:
I. Was held Nov. 13, 442 under the bishop Auspicius. Nectarius, bishop of Vienne, was present, and publicly maintained that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are but one nature, one power one divinity and virtue. Ten canons were-published.
1. Declares that it shall not be necessary to examine the Gallican bishops before receiving them to communion, but that it shall be enough to be assured that they are not excommunicated.
2. Declares that the offerings of penitents dying suddenly without receiving the communion may nevertheless be received, and that mention is to be made of their names at the altars. It permits them burial.
3. Orders priests and deacons to receive the holy chrisms at Easter from their own bishops.
6. Forbids all intimacy with the enemies of religion.
9 and 10. Are for the protection of the reputation of those who out of charity, take charge of deserted children. See Mainsi, Concil.3, 1456.
II. Was held No. 5, 5529. Twelve bishops attended, among whom were St. Caesarius of Aries, who presided. Five canons were published.
1. Enjoins that parish priests shall receive into their houses young readers (being single), according to the excellent custom in Italy; that they shall provide for them, and teach them to chant the Psalms, and make them read and study the Holy Scriptures.
2. Declares that a priest may preach in his own parish, but that when he is ill, the deacons shall read the Homilies of the fathers.
3. Orders the frequent repetition of the Kyrie Eleison at matins, mass, and vespers, and that the Sanctus he sung three times at mass even in Lent, and in masses for the dead.
4. Orders that mention be made of the pope at every mass.
5. Orders that the verse "As it was in the beginning," etc., shall he chanted after the Glornia Patri. See Mansi, Concil. 4:1679.
These files are public domain.
McClintock, John. Strong, James. Entry for 'Vaison, Council of (Conciliun Vasense)'. Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/tce/v/vaison-council-of-conciliun-vasense.html. Harper & Brothers. New York. 1870.