Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #1588 - ἐκλεκτός
- picked out, chosen
- chosen by God,
- to obtain salvation through Christ 1a
- Christians are called "chosen or elect" of God
- the Messiah in called "elect", as appointed by God to the most exalted office conceivable
- choice, select, i.e. the best of its kind or class, excellence preeminent: applied to certain individual Christians
- chosen by God,
ἐκλεκτ-ός, ή, όν,
1. picked out, select, Ibyc. 22, Th. 6.100; τὸ τῶν ἐ. δικαστήριον Pl. Lg. 938b; ἐ. δικασταί, =Lat. iudices selecti, OGI 499.3 (ii A.D.). Adv. - τῶς interpol. in Suid.s.v. ἐπίλεκτος.
2. choice, pure, σμύρνη LXX Exodus 30:23; βοήθημα Ascl ap. Aët. 9.12; ἀνδρών PRein. 43.9 (ii A.D.); ἐκλεκτόν, = corn, Aq. Psalms 65:13(64).14.
II chosen of God, elect, LXX Isaiah 43:20, Mark 13:20, etc.
ἐκ -λεκτός , -ή , -όν
(< ἐκλέγω ),
1. choice, select (cl., rarely; Thuc., Plat., al.), hence, eminent: Romans 16:13 (cf. Ezekiel 27:24).
2. As in Inscr. (MM, Exp., xii), chosen; esp. as in LXX, of Israel, elect, chosen of God (Isaiah 65:9, Psalms 105:43, al.); so in NT;
(a) of Christ: Luke 23:35 (cf. Isaiah 42:1); fig., λίθος , 1 Peter 2:4-6 (LXX);
(b) of holy angels: 1 Timothy 5:21;
(c) of Christians: Matthew 24:22; Matthew 24:24, Mark 13:20; Mark 13:22; Mark 13:27, 2 Timothy 2:10, 1 Peter 1:1; τ . θεοῦ , Luke 18:7, Romans 8:33, Colossians 3:12, Titus 1:1; τ . Χριστοῦ , Matthew 24:31; ἐ . κυρία , 2 John 1:1; ἀδελφή , 2 John 1:13; γένος , 1 Peter 2:9 (LXX); κλητοὶ καὶ ἐ . κ . πιστοί , Revelation 17:14; opp. to κλητός (not so in Epp.; v. Lft. on Colossians 3:12), Matthew 20:16 (T, WH, txt., R, omit) Matthew 22:14 (Cremer, 405, 775).†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
In P Rein 43.9 (A.D. 102) a ";choice"; or ";beautiful"; lodging which is being let is described as ἐκλεκτὸν ἀντρῶνα (l. ἀνδρῶνα). For the distinctive Biblical use of the word, cf. farm-accounts—P Fay 102.3, al. (c. A.D. 105) where ἐγλεκ (τοί) is applied to baskets ";‘selected,’ i.e. of a better quality than the rest"; (Edd.), and OGIS 499.3 (ii/A.D.) τῶν ἐκλεκτῶν ἐν Ῥώμῃ δικαστῶν, with which Dittenberger compares ib. 567.10 (ii/A.D.) ἐπίλεκτον κριτήν, the iudex selectus of the Latin inscriptions. The Avircius epitaph—late ii/A.D.—from MS. of Acta Sanctorum has ἐκλεκτῆς πόλεως ὁ πολείτης τοῦτ᾽ ἐποίησα. See also BGU II. 603.18 (c. A.D. 167) ἐλαίας ἐγλεκτῆς.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
the Second Week after Epiphany