free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #07235 - רָבָה
1) be or become great, be or become many, be or become much, be or become numerous
1a1) to become many, become numerous, multiply (of people, animals, things)
1a2) to be or grow great
1b) (Piel) to make large, enlarge, increase, become many
1c1) to make much, make many, have many
1c1a) to multiply, increase
1c1b) to make much to do, do much in respect of, transgress greatly
1c1c) to increase greatly or exceedingly
1c2) to make great, enlarge, do much
2) (Qal) to shoot
1439) br (רב RB) AC: Rule CO: Master AB: Increase: The pictograph r is a picture of a head, the b is a picture of the tent representing the family. Combined these mean "head of the family". Each family has a master that rules all cases, trials, conflicts and contests. This person was the representative for the whole tribe, one abundant in authority and wisdom. (see Exodus 18:25) .
Nm) br (רב RB) - I. Master:One who is abundant in authority. II. Abundant:An abundance of numbers (many) or strength (great) . From the idea of greatness in authority. [Hebrew and Aramaic] III. Archer:[Unknown connection to root;] KJV (475): many, great, much, captain, more, long, enough, multitude, mighty, greater, greatly, archer - Strongs: H7227 (רַב), H7228 (רַב), H7229 (רַב)
V) bbr (רבב RBB) - I. Increase:To grow in number. II. Shoot:The shooting of arrows from an archer. [Unknown connection to root] KJV (19): (vf: Paal, Pual) many, multiply, increase, more, manifold, thousand, shoot - Strongs: H7231 (רָבַב), H7232 (רָבַב)
V) ebr (רבה RBH) - Increase: [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (232): (vf: Paal, Hiphil, Piel) multiply, increase, much, more, long, store, exceedingly, abundance, grow, great - Strongs: H7235 (רָבָה), H7236 (רְבָה)
Nm) bfr (רוב RWB) - Abundance: An abundance of numbers (many) or strength (great) . KJV (155): multitude, abundance, great, greatness, much, abundantly, plenty, many, long, excellent - Strongs: H7230 (רֹב)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
רָבָה fut. יִרְבֶּה apoc. יִרֶב and יֵרֶב imp. רְבֵה; plur. רְבוּ; part. רֹבֶה (pret. and inf. are formed from the cognate verb רָבַב).
(1) to be multiplied, increased, Genesis 1:22, 28 9:1, Exodus 1:20 and often; to be many, to be numerous, Psalms 139:18.
(2) (a) to become great, 1 Samuel 14:30 to become greater, Deuteronomy 30:16 hence to grow up, Genesis 21:20, וַיְהִי רֹבַה קַשָּׁת “and he became, when he grew up, an archer.” Vulg. factusque est juvenis sagittarius.
(b) to be great, Genesis 43:34 also to be mighty, Job 33:12; Proverbs 29:2.
(1) to multiply, to increase; with an acc., Judges 9:29. Absol. to make much, i.e. to acquire much, to increase one’s substance (compare הִרְבָּה No. 1, d. עָשָׂה No. 2, d). Psalms 44:13, לֹא רִבִּיתָ בִּמְחִירֵיהֶם “thou hast not gained much by selling them,” i.e. thou hast sold them for a small price; or, “thou hast not increased,” sc. thy wealth (comp. Proverbs 22:16).
(2) to bring up, Ezekiel 19:2; Lamentations 2:22 (Syr. ܪܰܒܝܺ, Arab. رَبَّى id).
Hiphil הִרְבָּה; fut. יַרְבֶּה; apoc. יֶרֶב; imp. apoc. הֶרֶב; inf. abs. הַרְבָּה and הַרְבֵּה (but this form is always used adverbially); constr. הַרְבּוֹת
(1) to make or do much, Genesis 3:16; Isaiah 23:16.
(a) followed by an inf. and gerund, often for adv. much. 1 Samuel 1:12, הִרְבְּתָה לְהִתְפַּלֵּל “she prayed much;” Exodus 36:5; Psalms 78:38; Amos 4:4; 2 Kings 21:6, הִרְבָּה לַעֲשׂוֹת הָרָע “he did much evil;” also followed by a finite verb, 1 Samuel 2:3. Hence inf. absol. הַרְבֵּה is often used for adv. in doing much (more rarely הַרְבּוֹת Amos 4:9; Proverbs 25:27); Ecclesiastes 5:11; 2 Samuel 1:4 הַרְבֵּה מְאֹד very much, Nehemiah 2:2, 3:33 also with substantives, 2 Samuel 8:8, נְחשֶׁת הַרְבֵּה מְאֹד “very much brass.” 2 Samuel 12:2; 1 Kings 5:9; Genesis 15:1, שְׁכָֽרְךָ הַרְבֵּה מְאֹד “thy reward shall be very much” (exceeding great); with plur. 1 Kings 10:11. לְהַרְבֵּה id., Nehemiah 5:18. Also to multiply, to increase. Proverbs 22:16, הַרְבּוֹת לוֹ “to increase (riches) to him;” followed by לְ Hosea 10:1.
(b) to give much; for the fuller הִרְבָּה לָתֵת Exodus 30:15. Oppos. to הִמְעִיט and on the other hand
(c) followed by עַל to lay much upon any one; for the fuller הִרְבָּה לָשׂוּם עַל; Genesis 34:12.
(d) to have much; prop. to make, to produce much. Compare Hebr. Gramm. § 52, 2. Levit. 11:42, מַרְבֵּה רַגְלַיִם having many feet. 1 Chronicles 7:4, הִרְבּוּ נָשִׁים וּבָנִים “they had many wives and sons;” 1 Chronicles 4:27, 8:40 23:11.
(2) to make great. Psalms 18:36; 1 Chronicles 4:10; Job 34:37, “he makes large his words against God,” i.e. he speaks impiously (see רַב Chald.).
Derivatives, אַרְבֶּה, מַרְבֶּה, מִרְבָּה, תַּרְבּוּתּ מַרְבִּית, תַּרְבִּית.
the First Week of Advent