the Week of Proper 19 / Ordinary 24
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #08034 - שֵׁם
1b) reputation, fame, glory
1c) the Name (as designation of God)
1d) memorial, monument
Nm) ms (סהמ ShM) - I. Breath:The breath of a man is character, what makes one what he is. The name of an individual is more than an identifier but descriptive of his character or breath. II. There:Used to identify another place. [Hebrew and Aramaic] III. Sky:The place of the winds. [Hebrew and Aramaic; Only used in the masculine plural form, mimsor nimsin Aramaic] IV. Aroma: A sweet aroma that is carried on the wind or breath. [df: Mo] KJV (1365): name, renown, fame, famous, heaven, air, sweet, there - Strongs: H5561 (סַם), H8033 (שָׁם), H8034 (שֵׁם), H8036 (שֻׁם), H8064 (שָׁמֶה), H8065 (שְׁמַיִן), H8536 (תַּמָּה)
Nf1 ) ems (סהמה ShMH) - Desolate: A wind blowing over the land pulls the moisture out of the ground drying it up, making a place of ruin or desert. KJV (39): astonishment, desolation, desolate, waste, wonderful - Strongs: H8047 (שַׁמָּה)
kf1) emsm (מסהמה MShMH) - Desolate: A wind blowing over the land pulls the moisture out of the ground drying it up, making a place of ruin or desert. KJV (7): desolate, astonishment - Strongs: H4923 (מְשַׁמָּה)
B) mms (סהממ ShMM) AC: ? CO: ? AB: Desolate: A wind blowing over the land pulls the moisture out of the ground drying it up, making a place of ruin or desert. One in horror or in astonishment is one dried up in the inside.
V) mms (סהממ ShMM) - Desolate: [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (93): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Hitpael, Hophal, Piel) desolate, astonish, waste, destroy, wonder, amaze - Strongs: H8074 (שָׁמֵם), H8075 (שְׁמַם)
- A2090 Msc (Rain, Rain)
- A2443 Msn (Pant, Breath)
- A2444 Psn (Blow, Twilight)
- A2848 Dms (Destroy)
- A2849 Ums (Shake)
- A2850 Nms (Oil)
- A2851 Oms (Hear, Report, Obedience)
- A2854 Sms (Sun)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
1 of river Genesis 2:11,13,14, beasts Genesis 2:19; Genesis 2:20, city Genesis 26:33 (all J) +; היּוֺם׳שׁ Ezekiel 24:2, i.e. exact designation of it (+ הַזֶּה׳אֶתעֶֿצֶם הַיּ).
2. a. usually of person: Genesis 4:17,19 (twice in verse) (J) +; as significant 1 Samuel 25:25, compare Proverbs 21:24; especially in phrase וַיְהִי אִישׁ ֗֗֗ וּשְׁמוֺ אֶלְקָנָה 1 Samuel 1:1, compare 1 Samuel 9:1,2, Jeremiah 37:13 28t.; less often as גָּלְיָת שְׁמוֺ 1 Samuel 17:4, compare Zechariah 6:12 5t. (compare in Assyrian Krae BAS i. 430); frequently with קָרָא (q. v. 6, and Niph`al 2, Pu`al; note here, עַל׳נִקְרָא שׁ in token of ownership 2 Samuel 12:28 (see Dr), Isaiah 4:1); rarely, שִׂים אֶתשְֿׁמוֺ אֲבִימֶלֶךְ Judges 8:31, compare 2 Kings 17:34; Nehemiah 9:7; ׳וַיָּ֫שֶׂם לָהֶם שׁ Daniel 1:7; with יֵאָמֵר Genesis 32:29 (J); change of name is without verb, as Genesis 17:15 (P), or (usually) with יִהְיֶה Genesis 35:10 (P) Israel shall be thy name. compare Genesis 17:5; 1 Kings 18:31; 1 Chronicles 22:9, also ׳וַיַסֵּב אֶתשְֿׁמוֺ יְהו 2 Kings 23:34 2 Chronicles 36:4, compare 2 Kings 24:17, and (suj. ׳י) עוֺלָם אֶתֶּןלֿוֺ׳שׁ Isaiah 56:5; מַהשְּֿׁמֶ֑ךָ Genesis 32:28, compare Exodus 3:13; Proverbs 30:4, מִית שְׁמֶ֑ךָ Judges 13:17; be explicitly mentioned is: וְכֻלָּם בְּשֵׁמוֺת Ezra 10:16, ׳נִקְּבוּ בְשׁ Numbers 1:17; 1 Chronicles 16:41; 2 Chronicles 28:15; 31:10; Ezra 8:20, ׳הַבָּאִים בְּשׁ 1 Chronicles 4:38, ׳וַיָבזֹם בְּשׁ 1 Chronicles 4:41; of things, וּבְשֵׁמוֺת תִּקְדוּ Numbers 4:32 (P), + Numbers 4:27 (read בְּשֵׁמֹתᵐ5 Di Baen Gray); יְדַעְתִּיךָ בְּשֵׁם Exodus 33:12 (subject ׳י), i.e. acknowledge thee, personally (as mine), compare Exodus 33:17 (both J); ׳פ׳בְּשׁ as the representative of 1 Samuel 25:5,9; 1 Kings 21:8; Jeremiah 29:25; Esther 2:22; Esther 3:12; Esther 8:8 (twice in verse); Esther 8:10 (compare also 3).
b. = reputation; (1) וַאֲגַדְּלָה שְׁמֶ֫ךָ Genesis 12:2 (J), גָּדוֺל כְּשֵׁם הַגְּדֹלִים אֲשֶׁר׳וְעָשִׂתִי לִךָ שׁ בָּאָרֶץ 2 Samuel 7:9; make oneself a name ׳וְנַעֲשֶׂח לָנוּ שׁ Genesis 11:4 (J), ׳וַיַּעַשׂ לוֺ שׁ 2 Samuel 8:13, of ׳י Jeremiah 32:20, hence Nehemiah 9:10; Daniel 9:15; Isaiah 63:12,14, so with שׂוּם 2 Samuel 7:23 = 1 Chronicles 17:21; ׳וַיֵּצֵא לָךְ שֵׁם בְּ Ezekiel 16:14 (compare 1 Chronicles 14:17), 2 Chronicles 26:15 עַדלְֿמֵרָחוֺק, 2 Chronicles 26:8 ׳וַיֵּלֶךְ שְׁמוֺ עַדלְֿ; 2 Samuel 23:18,22; = fame, glory, Zephaniah 3:19,20; Ezekiel 39:13. — Ezekiel 34:29 read perhaps שָׁלֹםᵐ5 Siegf Be Toy; Co שָׁלֵם; Krae conjecture שָׁמֵן; אַנְשֵׁי הַשֵּׁם Genesis 6:4 (J), Numbers 16:2 (J), אַנְשֵׁישֵׁמוֺת 1 Chronicles 5:24; 1 Chronicles 12:31 (van d. H. v. 1 Chronicles 12:30); with negative בְּנֵיבְלִישֵֿׁ Job 30:3; (2) bad sense, וְהוֺצִא עָלָיהָ שֵׁם רָ֑ע Daniel 22:14; compare Daniel 22:19; Nehemiah 6:13; = byword Ezekiel 23:10; טְמֵאַת׳הַשּׁ Ezekiel 22:5.
c. especially as giving a man kind of posthumous life, especially in his sons, אֵיןלִֿי בֵן בֵּעֲבוּרהַזְכֵּיר שְׁמִי 2 Samuel 18:18, ׳לְהָקִים לְאָחִיו שֵׁם בְּ Deuteronomy 25:7, compare Deuteronomy 25:6; Ruth 4:5,10, without whom it is blotted out, etc., Deuteronomy 25:6, compare Numbers 27:4 (P), Ruth 4:10, so that to destroy one's name = extirpate family (and שֵׁם sometimes Is "" צֶרַע) 1 Samuel 24:22 (Gi v. 1 Samuel 24:21), 2 Samuel 14:7 ("" שְׁאֵרִית), so of peoples Deuteronomy 7:24; Deuteronomy 9:14; Deuteronomy 12:3; Isaiah 14:22 +; לאֹ יִוָּרַע מִשִּׁמְךָ עוֺד Nahum 1:14 (of Nineveh); כֵּן יַעֲמֹד זַרְעֲכֶם וְשִׁמְכֶם Isaiah 66:22; more abstract ("" זֵכֶר) Job 18:17; Proverbs 10:7.
3 name, as designation of God, specifically of ׳י (especially Jeremiah , Ezekiel , Isa2,3, Psalm): — first (in Hexateuch) in phrase ׳י׳בְּשׁ ׳ק Genesis 4:26 (J), call with, i.e. use the name ׳י in worship, so Genesis 12:8; Genesis 13:4; Genesis 21:33; Genesis 26:35 + (see קרא
2 c); hence, of place of worship, בְּכָלהַֿמָּקוֺם אֲשֶׁר אַוְּכִּיר מאתשְֿׁמִישָׁם Exodus 20:24 (Gi Exodus 20:21); אֶתשְֿׁמוֺ שָׁם [לְשַׁכֵּן] לָשׂוּם Deuteronomy 12:5,11 +; בָּנָה בַּיִת לִשְׁמִי 2 Samuel 7:13 + often; people come ׳י׳לְשׁ Joshua 9:9 (R D), so ׳לְמֵעַן שׁ 1 Kings 8:41 2 Chronicles 6:32; Isaiah 60:9; seek it Psalm 83:17; swear with ׳י׳בְּשׁ 1 Samuel 20:42; Deuteronomy 6:13; Deuteronomy 10:20; Leviticus 19:12, compare (לַשָּׁוְא) Exodus 20:7 (twice in verse)= Deuteronomy 5:11 (twice in verse); ׳י׳תָּפַשׁ Proverbs 30:9; נִקְרָא שְׁמִיעַלֿ, etc., in token of ownership (compare 2 a), Jeremiah 7:10 +; = his reputation, fame, with עָשָׁה לוֺ, see 1 b (1), compare Joshua 7:9; ׳י׳בְּשׁ, i.e. as his representative Exodus 5:23 (J), 1 Samuel 17:45; Deuteronomy 10:8; 2 Samuel 6:18; 2 Kings 2:24 + (see
2 a near the end); especially as embodying the (revealed) character of ׳י: שְׁמוֺ׳י Amos 5:8; Amos 9:6; Jeremiah 33:2, וֶה שְּׁמִי לְעֹלָם Exodus 3:15 (E; "" זֵכֶר; fundamental passage), Exodus 6:3 (P); ) עְבָאוֺת שְׁמוֺ׳(א ׳י Amos 4:13; Amos 5:27; Jeremiah 10:16; Jeremiah 46:18 10t. Jeremiah , Isa2, קַנָּא שְׁמוֺ׳י Exodus 34:14 (J; compare Exodus 20:5; Nahum 1:2), ׳קָדוֺשׁ שׁ Isaiah 57:15, ׳שׁ [וֺ] קָדְשִׁי Amos 2:7; Ezekiel 39:7; Ezekiel 43:7; Psalm 103:1 + often; hence object of knowledge Isaiah 52:6; Jeremiah 48:17, יֹדְעֵי שְׁמֶ֑ךָ Psalm 9:11 ("" דֹּרְשֶׁיךָ), love Isaiah 56:5, ׳אֹהֲבֵי שׁ Psalm 5:12; Psalm 69:37; Psalm 119:132, fear Psalm 61:6, especially of praise, etc. (חִלֵּל, הִןכִּיר, הוֺדָה, בֵּרַח, etc.): לְשִׁמְךָ אֲוַמֵּר 2 Samuel 22:50 ("" אוֺדְךָ and so very often "" ׳י) = Psalm 18:50, compare 1 Chronicles 16:10; 1 Chronicles 29:13; Psalm 45:18; Isaiah 26:13; 1 Kings 8:33,35 2 Chronicles 6:24,26; Psalm 8:2; Psalm 8:10 +; כְּבוֺד שְׁמוֺ׳חָבוּלי Psalm 29:2; Psalm 96:8, and many comibinations; opposed to ׳א׳חִלֵּל אֶתשֿׁ Leviticus 18:21 +, ׳י׳נקב שׁ Leviticus 24:16, ׳נִאֵץ שׁ Psalm 74:10; Psalm 74:18, etc.; הַנִּכְבָּד וְהַנּוֺרָא׳הַשּׁ Deuteronomy 28:58, compare Nehemiah 1:11; לְמַעַן שִׁמְךָ, in appeals to ׳י to act according to his character Jeremiah 14:7,21; Ezekiel 20:9,14; Isaiah 48:9; Isaiah 66:5; Psalm 25:11; Psalm 31:4 +; ׳י׳שׁ is powerful agent, בְּשִׁמְךָ הוֺשִׁיעֵנִי Psalm 54:3 ("" בִּגְבוּרָֽתְךָ), compare Psalm 124:8; of ׳מַלְאַךָ י, ׳י says שְׁמִיבְּקִרְבּוֺ Exodus 23:21 (E); הַשֵּׁם Leviticus 24:11 is probably scribal substitution for word ׳י (already beginning to be thought ineffable, especially with וַיִקֹּב compare Gei Urschr.273f. Di Dr-Wh Baen); on development of this usage, and Jewish use of ׳הַשּׁ as personified or hypostasis, see Levy NHWB under the word Jastr s.see — קָרוֺב שְׁמֶ֑ךָ Psalm 75:2 is striking, but doubtful, < ᵐ5 Dy Che Gr Hup-Now ׳קֹרְאֵי שׁ, Du ׳קָרָנוּ בִשׁ (= קָרָאנוּ).
4 of false gods, use forbidden Exodus 23:13 (E), Joshua 23:7 (R D), compare Hosea 2:19; Psalm 16:4;speak בְּשֵׁם אלהים אחרים Deuteronomy 18:20; ׳א׳קָרָא בְשׁ 1 Kings 18:24,25,26; ׳א׳יֵלְכוּ בְשׁ Micah 4:5.
5 = memorial, monument Isaiah 55:13 ("" אוֺת; so Che Du > = fame Di-Kit), יָד וָשֵׁם׳טוֺב מִבָּנִים וגו Isaiah 56:5 (with word-play on ׳שׁ 1 c).
שֻׁם noun masculine name (see Biblical Hebrew שֵׁם); — construct ׳שׁ Ezra 5:1 +; suffix שְׁמֵהּ Daniel 2:20 +; plural construct שְׁמָהָת Ezra 5:4, suffix תְהֹם- Ezra 5:10; — name, of divinity: Daniel 2:20; Daniel 4:5; Ezra 5:1; Ezra 6:12; of a man: Daniel 2:26; Daniel 4:15; Daniel 4:16; Daniel 5:12 (all Daniel), Ezra 5:4,10 (twice in verse) also Ezra 5:14, with which compare S-C K 4,5, s f., 12 f.
שֵׁם constr. שֵׁם, sometimes followed by Makk. שֶׁם־, with suff. שְׁמִי, שִׁמְךָ, שִׁמְכֶם, pl. שֵׁמוֹת, constr. שְׁמוֹת m. (once f. Song of Solomon 1:3, see רוּק Hophal).
(1) name. (Arab. إِسْمُ, more rarely سِمُ, Eth. ስም፡ but Ch. שֻׁם id. I regard this word as primitive, and prop. as denoting σῆμα, signum, although kindred to it is the root وسم to mark with a sign, to designate, سِمَةُ sign, stigma, mark with which any one is marked. From the noun are derived سمى Conj. II., ܫܰܡܗܰ, ܫܰܡܺܝ to name. Some regard שֵׁם as shortened from שֵׁמַע, by casting away ע, comparing the LXX. translator, who not unfrequently renders שֵׁמַע, ὄνομα.) בְּשֵׁם פ׳ in any one’s name, i.e. authority, Exodus 5:23; Esther 3:12 בְּשֵׁם יְיָ in the name of Jehovah, by his authority, Jeremiah 11:21, 26:9 בְּשֵׁם by name (ben Namen), Exodus 33:12 בְּשֵׁמוֹת by name, 1 Chronicles 12:31; Ezra 10:16. As to the phrases קָרָא שֵׁם, נִקְרָא בְשֵׁם etc. see קָרָא No. 2, -fh, No. 3, and Niphal No. 1, 2. Specially it is
(a) a celebrated name, fame (like ὄνομα and nomen). עָשָׂה לוֹ שֵׁם Genesis 11:4; Jeremiah 32:20 and שׂוּם לוֹ שֵׁם 2 Samuel 7:23, to make for oneself a name, i.e. to acquire fame for oneself; אַנְשֵׁי שֵׁם famous men, Genesis 6:4 also nobles, Numbers 16:2 אַנְשֵׁי שֵׁמוֹת id. 1 Chronicles 5:24 and on the other hand, בְּנֵי בְלִי שֵׁם sons of an ignoble (father), i.e. ignoble themselves, and sprung from an ignoble race, Job 30:8. Hence glory, Genesis 9:27, בְּאָהֳלֵי שֵׁם “in glorious tents;” [Is not שֵׁם here pr.n.] Zephaniah 3:19, שַׂמְתִּים לִתְהִלָּה וּלְשֵׁם “I will make them praised and famous;” verse 20 Zephaniah 3:20 Deuteron. 26:19.
(b) a good name, good reputation, Ecclesiastes 7:1; Proverbs 22:1. When used in a bad sense there is added רַע Deuteronomy 22:14, 19 Deuteronomy 22:19; Nehemiah 6:13.
(c) fame after death, memory. So in the phrases, to destroy, to blot out the name of any person or thing, i.e. so to blot out (a people, a city), that even the name and memory may perish from posterity, Deuteronomy 9:14; 1 Samuel 24:22; 2 Kings 14:27; Psalms 9:6; Zechariah 13:2 also Ecclesiastes 6:4, “its name is covered with darkness” (of an abortion). Hence
(d) a monument, by which any one’s memory is preserved, 2 Samuel 8:13; Isaiah 55:13. [This meaning appears to be very doubtful in both the cited passages.]
(2) שֵׁם יְהֹוָה is
(a) the celebrated name of God, the estimation of men concerning God; in the phrase לְמַעַן שְׁמוֹ for his name’s sake, as his name would lead one to expect; see page 495, B hence the glory of God; לְמַעַן שְׁמִי for my name’s sake, lest the glory of the divine name should suffer. Isai. 48:9 1 Kings 8:41; Psalms 79:9, 106:8 Ezekiel 20:44. Psalms 138:2, עַל כָּל שִׁמְךָ “above all thy name,” above all that can be predicated of thee.
(b) Jehovah, as being called on and praised by men, as קָרָא בְּשֵׁם יְהֹוָה to call on the name of Jehovah, compare under the verb קָרָא No. 1, h. Psalms 5:12, אֹהֲבֵי שְׁמֶךָ “those who love thy name,” i.e. those who delight in thy praise. Psalms 9:11.
(c) the Deity as being present with mortals, i.q. פְּנֵי יְהֹוָה. Exodus 23:21, כִּי שְׁמִי בְּקִרְבּוֹ “for my name is in him” (the angel). 1 Kings 8:29, יִהְיֶה שְׁמִי שָׁם “my name shall be there” (in the temple). 2 Kings 23:27. 1 Kings 3:2, “no house had been built to the name of the Lord.” 1 Kings 8:17, 20 1 Kings 8:20. שִׁכֵּז שְׁמוֹ, שׂוּם to put his name (in any place), i.e. there to fix his abode, see under the verb שׂוּם and שָׁכַז. It is often applied to the aid which God as present vouchsafes to men. Psalms 54:3, “O God! בְּשִׁמְךָ הוֹשִׁיעֵנוּ save us by thy name.” Psalms 44:6, 124:8 89:25 20:2 Isai. 30:27. Also שֵׁם, הַשֵּׁם are used absol. of the name of God, Leviticus 24:11, 16 Leviticus 24:16; Deuteronomy 28:58.
(3) pr.n. Shem, the eldest [second] son of Noah, from whom, -Gen. 10:2230, the Shemitic nations, i.e. the western nations of Asia, the Persians, Assyrians, Aramean s, and part of the Arabs have sprung. Compare Gesch. der Hebr. Spr. u. Schr. p. 5, 6.
Compound pr.n. are שְׁמוּאֵל, שְׁמִידָע, שְׁמִירָמוֹת.
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.