the Fifth Week of Lent
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #5251 - נֵס
1) something lifted up, standard, signal, signal pole, ensign, banner, sign, sail
1a) standard (as rallying point), signal
1b) standard (pole)
1c) ensign, signal
1314) xn (נס NS) AC: Lift CO: Standard AB: Refuge: The pictograph n is a picture of a seed representing continuance, the x is a picture of a thorn representing the idea of grabbing hold. Combined these mean "continue to grab hold". The tribal flag that is hung from a horizontal pole and lifted up high and seen from a distance.
A) xn (נס NS) AC: ? CO: Standard AB: ?
Nm ) xn (נס NS) - Standard: A flag that hangs from a pole. Also a sail. KJV (20): standard, ensign, pole, banner, sail, sign - Strongs: H5251 (נֵס)
af1) exnm (מנסה MNSH) - Trial: [df: hom] KJV (5): temptation, trial - Strongs: H4531 (מַסָּה)
B) xxn (נסס NSS) AC: ? CO: Standard AB: ?
V) xxn (נסס NSS) - Standard: To lift up the standard. KJV (2): (vf: Paal) ensign, standard-bearer - Strongs: H5263 (נָסַס), H5264 (נָסַס)
C) xna (אנס ANS) AC: Compel CO: ? AB: ?: A grabbing hold.
V) xna (אנס ANS) - Compel: To grab hold of one to perform. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (2): (vf: Paal) compel - Strongs: H597 (אָנַס), H598 (אֲנַס)
E) axn (נסא NSA) AC: Lift CO: Burden AB: ?
V) axn (נסא NSA) - Lift: To lift up a burden or load and carry it. [Hebrew and Aramaic] [df: aVn] KJV (659): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Hitpael, Piel) bear, take, bare, carry, borne, amourbearer, forgive, accept, exalt, regard, obtain, respect - Strongs: H4984 (מִתְנַשֵּׂא), H5375 (נָסָה), H5376 (נְשָׂא)
Nf2 ) taxn (נסאת NSAT) - Gift: [df: taVn] KJV (1): gift - Strongs: H5379 (נִשֵּׂאת)
am ) axnm (מנסא MNSA) - Burden: [df: aVm] KJV (66): burden, son, prophecy, set, exaction, carry, tribute - Strongs: H4853 (מַשָּׂא)
af1 ) eaxnm (מנסאה MNSAH) - Burden: [df: haVm] KJV (1): burden - Strongs: H4858 (מַשָּׂאָה)
af2 ) taxnm (מנסאת MNSAT) - I. Burden:[df: taVm]II. Cloud:A cloud of smoke as lifted up from the fire. [df: taVm]KJV (15): burden, mess, collection, flame, gift, oblation, reward, sign, lift - Strongs: H4864 (מַשְׂאֵת)
bm ) aixn (נסיא NSYA) - Chief: The leader of a family, tribe or people as one who carries the burdens of the people. [df: ayVn aVn] KJV (132): prince, captain, chief, ruler, vapour, governor, cloud - Strongs: H5387 (נָשִׁא)
df1 ) eafxn (נסואה NSWAH) - Wagon: A vehicle for carrying burdens. [df: hawVn haVn] KJV (1): carriage - Strongs: H5385 (נְשֻׂאָה)
acm ) afxnm (מנסוא MNSWA) - Respect: In the sense of lifting one up. [df: aVm] KJV (1): respect - Strongs: H4856 (מַשּׂא)
H) exn (נסה NSH) AC: Test CO: ? AB: ?: A test to prove one is deserved of being lifted up.
V) exn (נסה NSH) - Test: KJV (36): (vf: Piel) prove, tempt, assay, adventure, try - Strongs: H5254 (נָסָה)
J) xfn (נוס NWS) AC: Flee CO: ? AB: Refuge: The family standard as the place of refuge that one flees to.
V) xfn (נוס NWS) - Flee: To run to the standard for safety. Also a fleeing to any safe place such as a city or mountain. KJV (161): (vf: Paal, Hiphil) flee, abate, display, flight, hide, lift - Strongs: H5127 (נוּס)
km) xfnm (מנוס MNWS) - Refuge: A place of safety. KJV (8): refuge, escape, flight, flee - Strongs: H4498 (מָנוֹס)
kf1) exfnm (מנוסה MNWSH) - Fleeing: KJV (2): flight, fleeing - Strongs: H4499 (מְנֻסָה)
M) xin (ניס NYS) AC: Flee CO: ? AB: ?: The family standard as the place of refuge that one flees to.
Nm) xin (ניס NYS) - Flee: KJV (1): flee - Strongs: H5211 (נִיס)
Jeff Brenner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
1. a. standard, as rallying-point, נִסִּי׳י Exodus 17:15 (E), ׳י my standard (name of altar); conspicuously set on hill Isaiah 30:17 (simile of solitariness; "" תֹּרֶן עַלרֿאֹשׁ הָהָר); signal of war [see Schumacher ZPV ix. 232, Across the Jordan, 104f.] (especially to the nations, for destruction or deliverance of Judah, Isaiah Jeremiah), לַגּוֺיִם׳נָשָׂא נ Isaiah 5:26; Isaiah 11:12; compare Isaiah 18:3 (on mountains, "" תָּקַע שׁוֺפָר); אֶלעַֿמִּים׳אָרִים נ Isaiah 49:22 ("" אֶשָּׂא אֶלגּֿוֺיִם יָדִי), — in all these subject ׳י; compare עֹמֵד לְנֵס עַמִּים Isaiah 10:11 (of Messianic king); ׳שְׂאוּ נ Isaiah 13:2 (on mountain), Jeremiah 50:2; Jeremiah 51:12 (with אֶלֿ against), Jeremiah 51:27 ("" תִּקְעוּ שׁוֺפָר בַּגּוֺיִם), עַלעַֿמִּים׳הָרִימוּ נ Isaiah 62:10, compare Jeremiah 4:21 ("" קוֺל שׁוֺפָר); לְהִתְנוֺסֵס׳נָתַתָּהנ֗֗֗ Psalm 60:6 thou hast set a standard (only) for fleeing.
b. signal, צִיּ֫וֺנָה׳שְׂאוּ נ Jeremiah 4:6 (i.e. to direct refugees to Zion).
2 standard, as pole, supporting serpent of bronze Numbers 21:8,9 (JE).
3. a. ensign, signal, שֵׁשׁמִ֗֗֗מִּצְרַיִם הָיָה מִפְרָשֵׁךְ לִהְיוֺת לָךְ לְנֵס Ezekiel 27:7 byssus from Egypt was thy sail, to serve thee for an ensign (so DaToy; on lack of pennon on ancient ships see Co; > strike out Co Berthol); so
b. (since sails were the only ensign) = sail Isaiah 33:23 (Che Di and others; > pennon Ges Hi Ew De Du).
4 sign (compare Late Hebrew) = warning Numbers 26:10 (P).
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights reserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
נֵס with suff. נִסִּי (from the root נָסַס No. II) something lifted up, a token to be seen far off, specially
(1) a banner, such as was set up on high mountains, especially in case of an invasion, when it shewed the people where to assemble, Isaiah 5:26, 11:12 18:3 62:10 Jerem. 4:6, 21 Psalms 60:6. Compare מַשְׂאֵת. No. 2.
(2) a standard, or flag, as of a ship, Ezekiel 27:7; Isaiah 33:23.
(3) a column or lofty pole, Numbers 21:8, Numbers 21:9.
(4) metaphorically, a sign, by which any one is warned, Numbers 26:10. (Syr. ܢܚܺܫܐܳ a sign, a banner).
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.