Click to donate today!
Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
(Heb. Adadah', עִרְעָדָה, from the Syr., festival, or perhaps, by reduplication, boundary; Sept. Ἀδαδά, v. r. Ἀρουήλ ), a town in the southern part of the tribe of Judah, mentioned between Dimonah and Kedesh (Joshua 15:22); probably situated in the portion afterward set off to Simeon (Joshua 19:1-9). It is possibly the village Gadda mentioned by Eusebius and Jerome (Onomast. s.v. Γαδδά ), lying on the eastern border of Daroma, opposite the Dead Sea. But see GADDAH. M. de Saulcy believes that he passed some ruins by this name on his way from the southern end of the Dead Sea to Hebron on the high ground after leaving Wady es-Zoweirah (Narrative, 1, 360, 430).
The English engineers found a ruined town, Adadah, near Tuweirah el- Foka, in the neighborhood indicated by De Saulcy (see Quar. Statement of the "Pal Explor. Fund," Jan. 1875, p. 27).
These files are public domain.
McClintock, John. Strong, James. Entry for 'Adadah'. Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/tce/a/adadah.html. Harper & Brothers. New York. 1870.