Click here to get started today!
Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
(Hebrews Ba'al Shalishah' שָׁלַישָׁה בִּעִל, lord of Shalishah, or having a third; Sept. Βααλσαλισά v. r. Βαιδαρισά and Βαιθσαρισά), a place named only in 2 Kings 4:42, as that from which the man came with provisions for Elisha, apparently not far from (the Ephraimite) Gilgal (comp. v. 38). It was doubtless in the district of Shalisha (q.v.) which is mentioned in 1 Samuel 9:4; but whether it took its name thence, or from some modification of the worship of Baal (q.v.), of which it was the seat, is uncertain. See BAALIM. Eusebius and Jerome describe it (Onomast. Βαιθσαρισάθ , Bethsalisa, where the frequent interchange of "Baal" and "Beth" is observable) as a city 15 R. miles N. of Diospolis, near Matthew Ephraim. These indications correspond, to the site of the present ruins Khurbet Hatta, about midway between Yafa and Sebustieh (Van de Velde, Map).
These files are public domain.
McClintock, John. Strong, James. Entry for 'Baal-Shalisha'. Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/tce/b/baal-shalisha.html. Harper & Brothers. New York. 1870.