Click here to get started today!
Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
(Heb. Chananel', חֲנִנְאֵל , which God has graciously given; Sept. Ἀναμεήλ, Vulgate Hananeel), a tower (מַגְדָּל ) of Jerusalem, situated on the exterior wall beyond the tower of Meah in going from the Sheepgate towards the Fish-gate (Nehemiah 3:1; Nehemiah 12:39). It is also mentioned in Jeremiah 31:38; Zechariah 14:10. Its position appears to have been at the north-eastern corner of the present mosque enclosure (see Strong's Harmony and Expos., Append. 2, p. 19). Schwarz (Palest. p. 251) also locates it in this vicinity, but absurdly identifies it with the tower of Hippicus. (See JERUSALEM). Gesenius (Thes. Heb. s.v.) suggests that it may have been so called from the name of its founder or builder.
These files are public domain.
McClintock, John. Strong, James. Entry for 'Hananeel'. Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/tce/h/hananeel.html. Harper & Brothers. New York. 1870.