Click here to get started today!
Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
For this site Tristram suggests (Bible Places, page 253) Deir Hannan, meaning doubtless what is laid down on the Ordnance Map as Deir Hanna, three miles south-west of Mughar (the locality which we had conjectured), and thus described in the Memoirs (1:364): "High walls all round the village, which is built of stone. The walls have round towers, and were built by Dhaker el-'Amr's son, S'ad el-'Amr. It is situated on the top of a high ridge, and contains about four hundred Christians. It is surrounded by olive groves and arable land. Water is obtained from cisterns and an old paved birkeh [pool] to the north of the village." No ancient remains are noted in the immediate vicinity. Mr. Trelawney Saunders coincides with this location (Map of the O.T.). Lieut. Conder, however, prefers (Tent Work, 2:337) Kefr 'Andn, which is too far north, being five miles south- west of Sofed, and equally destitute of any traces of antiquity (Memoirs, 1:203).
These files are public domain.
McClintock, John. Strong, James. Entry for 'Hannathon (2)'. Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/tce/h/hannathon-2.html. Harper & Brothers. New York. 1870.