Click here to get started today!
Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
The modern el-Harithiyeh, which is thought to represent the ancient site, is placed on the Ordnance Map nine miles south-east of Haifa, and is described in the accompanying Memoirs (1:270) as "a miserable hamlet of mud, on high ground, with an open plateau to the east, and a spring below on the west (Ain el-Ghafr). The population in 1859 is stated by consul Rogers at one hundred and twenty souls, and the tillage at twelve feddans." According to the same authority, however (1:96), "Guerin suggests that we have the ancient name of Harosheth or Haris," three and a half miles south-west of Jibrin, in the north of Palestine, where "there appear to be no vestiges of ancient constructions, except a circular cistern cut in the rock. This identification is strengthened by the fact that the same word which occurs in the name Kir Haroseth, the modern Kerak, exists in the present local dialect of Moab under the same form, Harith or Haris" (ibid. page 116).
These files are public domain.
McClintock, John. Strong, James. Entry for 'Harosheth (2)'. Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/tce/h/harosheth-2.html. Harper & Brothers. New York. 1870.