Click here to get started today!
Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
[many Jeshai'ah] (Hebrew Yeshayah', יְשִׁעְיָה, deliverance of Jehovah;' 1 Chronicles 3:21; Ezra 8:7; Ezra 8:19; Nehemiah 11:7; elsewhere in the paragogic form יְשָׁעְיָהוּ, Yeshaya'hu), the name of several men.
1. (Sept: ᾿Ωσαίας v.r. Ι᾿ωσίας , Vulg. Iasajas, Author. Ver. "Jeshaiah.") Son of Rehabiah, and father of Joram, of the Levitical family of Eliezer (1 Chronicles 26:25). B.C. considerably ante 1014.
2. (Sept. Ι᾿εεία v.r. Ι᾿σαές ; Ι᾿σίας v.r. Ι᾿ωσιά; Vulg. Jesejas, Auth. Vers. "Jeshaiah.") One of the sons of Jeduthun, appointed under him among the sacred harpers (1 Chronicles 25:3), at the head of the eighth division of Levitical musicians (1 Chronicles 25:15). B.C. 1014.
3. (See ISAIAH).
4. (Septuag. Ι᾿εσσεία v.r. Ι᾿εσίας , Vulg. Isaja, Auth. Vers. "Jesaiah.") Father of Ithiel, a Benjamite, whose descendant Sallu resided in Jerusalem after the exile (Nehemiah 9:7). B.C. long ante 539.
5. (Septuagint Ι᾿εσεία v.r. Ι᾿εσίας , Vulgate Jesejas, Auth. Vers. "Jesaiah.") The second of the three sons of Hananiah, son of Zerubbabel (1 Chronicles 3:21; see Strong's Harmony and Expos. of the Gosp. p. 17). B.C. post 536.
6. (Septuag. ῾Ησαϊ v α v.r. Ι᾿σαϊ v ας , Vulg. Isajas, Auth. Vers. "Jeshaiah.") Son of Athaliah, of the "sons" of Elam, who returned with 70 male relatives from Babylon (Ezra 8:7). B.C. 459.
7. (Sept. Ι᾿σαϊ v α , Vulg. Isajas, Author. Vers. "Jeshaiah.") A Levite of the family of Merari, who accompanied Hashabiah to the river Ahava, on the way from Babylon to Palestine (Ezra 8:19). B.C. 459.
These files are public domain.
McClintock, John. Strong, James. Entry for 'Jeshaiah'. Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/tce/j/jeshaiah.html. Harper & Brothers. New York. 1870.