Click to donate today!
Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
(1) OF BENJAMIN. The probable modern representative of this place, et- Tayibeh, lies four miles north-east of Bethel on the Ordnance Map, and is thus described in the accompanying Memoirs (2:293): "A large village in a conspicuous position, with well-built stone houses. A central tower stands on the top of the hill; on either side are olive and fig gardens in the foreground. The view is extensive on both sides. A ruined church of St. George exists near, and there are remains of a ruined castle in the village. The inhabitants are Greek Christians." The archaeological remains are minutely described (ibid. page 370).
(2) OF MANASSEH. For this place Lieut. Conder suggests (Tent Work, 2:339) the modern Ferata, south-west of Nablfs; but this is not within Manasseh, and is proposed by Guerin for Pirathon (q.v.). It is more probably (Tristram, Bible Places, page 203) Arrabeh, which is laid down on the Ordnance Map at two miles southwest of Dothan, and described in the accompanying Memoirs (2:154) as a very large village on the slope of a bare ridge, with remains of an ancient town.
These files are public domain.
McClintock, John. Strong, James. Entry for 'Ophrah'. Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/tce/o/ophrah.html. Harper & Brothers. New York. 1870.