Click here to learn more!
Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
(Heb. [for Chald.] Tel-charsha', חִרַשָׁא תֵּלאּ, hill of the artificer [ Gesenius, of the wood; Fü rst, of the Magus],; Sept. Θελαρησά v.r. Θελαρσά; Vulg. Thelharsa), one of the Babylonian towns, or villages, from which some Jews, who "could not show their father's house, nor their seed, whether they were of Israel," returned to Judaea with Zerubbabel (Ezra 2, 59; Nehemiah 7:61 [A.V. "Tel-haresha]). It probably was in the low country near the sea, in the neighborhood of Tel-melah and Cherub, places which are associated with it. Herzfeld's conjecture (Gesch. Isr. 1, 452) that the name is connected with the river Haran, in Susiana (Ammian. Marc. 23:p. 325, Bip.) is very precarious.
These files are public domain.
McClintock, John. Strong, James. Entry for 'Tel-Harsa'. Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/tce/t/tel-harsa.html. Harper & Brothers. New York. 1870.