Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
Vessels for Holy Oil
These, in medieval churches, were arranged like three towers around a central crown-topped spire, wit which they were connected. Each contained a small phial, which could be detached when wanted, and a spoon. One of these phials held the oil for baptism; a second, chrism for confirmation; and a third, oil for the sick. They were made of copper or silver gilt. The ampuilla, for chrism, was sometimes made of ivory and crystal, to distinguish it from the vessels containing the oils. (See OIL).
These files are public domain.
McClintock, John. Strong, James. Entry for 'Vessels for Holy Oil'. Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/tce/v/vessels-for-holy-oil.html. Harper & Brothers. New York. 1870.