Click to donate today!
Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
(Heb. Tsenan', צְנָן , pointed, if this be the proper form of the name; Sept. Σεννάμ, v.r. Σεννά ; Vulg. Sanan), a town in the lowland district of Judah (Joshua 15:37), where it is named before Hadashah and Migdal-gad in the western group of the tribe. (See JUDAH). Accordingly, a few miles south of the present Mejdel is a small village called Jenn, which is probably the modern representative of Zenan. It is generally supposed that Zenan is the same place which the prophet Micah calls Zaanan (1, 11; see Reland, Palcesto p. 1058; Keil and Delitzsch, On Joshua 15:37). Knobel supposes this last to be identical with: the ruin of esSenat, near Belt Jibrin (Tobler, Dritte Wanderung, p. 124). Schwarz (Palest. p. 103) proposes to identify Zenan with "the village Zan-abra, situated two and a half English miles south-east of Mareshah." By this he doubtless intends the place which iln the lists of Robinson (Bibl. Res. [1st ed.], vol. 3, app. p. 117) is called es-Sendbirah, and in Tobler's Dritte Wanderung (p. 149), es- Sennd2bereh. The latter traveler in his map places it about two and a half miles due east of Marash (Maresha). But both these latter identifications are more than doubtful.
These files are public domain.
McClintock, John. Strong, James. Entry for 'Zenan'. Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/tce/z/zenan.html. Harper & Brothers. New York. 1870.