Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #1984 - ἐπισκοπή
- investigation, inspection, visitation
- that act by which God looks into and searches out the ways, deeds character, of men, in order to adjudge them their lot accordingly, whether joyous or sad
- overseership, office, charge, the office of an elder
- the overseer or presiding officers of a Christian church
I watching over, visitation, of God, LXX Numbers 16:29, Luke 19:44.
1. office of ἐπίσκοπος, 1 Timothy 3:1, Cod.Just. 1.3.35 Intr., etc.: generally, office, LXX Psalms 108:8(109).8.
2.. = cross ἐπίσκεψις 3, ib. Numbers 14:29, al.
† ἐπι -σκοπή , -ῆς , ἡ ,
1. a visiting, visitation (εἰς ἐ . τοῦ παιδός , Lucian, dial. deor., 20, 6); as in LXX (after Heb.), of God's visitation in mercy, or in judgment (Leviticus 19:20 Job 10:12, Jeremiah 6:15, Wisdom of Solomon 2:20, al.): Luke 19:44, 1 Peter 2:12 (v. Hort, in l).
2. office, charge, esp. office of an ἐπίσκοιος (q.v.): Acts 1:20 (LXX), 1 Timothy 3:1 (Cremer, 527 f., 864; DCG, ii, 809b).†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
A iv/A.D. Lycaonian inscr. describes a bishop as—εἴκοσι πέντε ὅλοις ἔτεσιν τὴν ἐπισκοπὴν μετὰ πολ [λ ]ῆς ἐπιτειμίας διοι [κ ]ήσας (Exp VII. vi. p. 387 : C. and B. ii. P. 543).
The subst. ἐπισκοπεία is found in the Royal Ordinances P Tebt I. 5.189 (B.C. 118), where reference is made to penalties incurred for making false returns ";in connexion with the government inspections";—πρὸς τὰ ̣ς ̣ βα ̣(σιλικὰς) ἐ ̣π ̣ι ̣σ ̣κοπείας.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
the Week of Proper 15 / Ordinary 20