Consider helping today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #6485 - פָּקַד
1) to attend to, muster, number, reckon, visit, punish, appoint, look after, care for (verb)
1a1) to pay attention to, observe
1a2) to attend to
1a3) to seek, look about for
1a4) to seek in vain, need, miss, lack
1a5) to visit
1a6) to visit upon, punish
1a7) to pass in review, muster, number
1a8) to appoint, assign, lay upon as a charge, deposit
1b1) to be sought, be needed, be missed, be lacking
1b2) to be visited
1b3) to be visited upon
1b4) to be appointed
1b5) to be watched over
1c) (Piel) to muster, call up
1d) (Pual) to be passed in review, be caused to miss, be called, be called to account
1e1) to set over, make overseer, appoint an overseer
1e2) to commit, entrust, commit for care, deposit
1f1) to be visited
1f2) to be deposited
1f3) to be made overseer, be entrusted
1g) (Hithpael) numbered
1h) (Hothpael) numbered
2) musterings, expenses (noun masculine plural abstract)
2630) dqp (פקד PQD) AC: Oversee CO: Overseer AB: Oversight: The role of the overseer is to watch over, direct, command, chastise, review and count those in his charge for the purpose of producing work. [from: qp]
V) dqp (פקד PQD) - I. Oversee:To closely inspect. II. Count:As an overseeing of numbers. KJV (305): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Hitpael, Hophal, Pual, Piel) number, visit, punish, appoint, commit, miss, set, charge, governor, lack, oversight, officer, count, empty, ruler, overseer, judgement - Strongs: H6485 (פָּקַד)
df1) edfqp (פקודה PQWDH) - I. Oversight:A careful watching over. II. Number:As counted. KJV (32): visitation, office, charge, oversight, officer, ordering, account, custody, number - Strongs: H6486 (פְּקֻדָּה)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
פָּקַד fut. יִפְקֹד prop. (as I suppose), to strike upon or against any person or thing (auf jem., etwas ftoßen); cogn. roots, פָּגַע, פָּגַשׁ. Hence
(1) in a good sense, to go to any person or thing
(a) to visit (befuchen), 1 Samuel 17:18, “and go to thy brethren (to enquire) לְשָׁלוֹם as to (their) welfare.” Followed by בְּ of the present which a visitor brings with him (compare בְּ), Judges 15:1.
(b) to go in order to inspect and explore; hence to search, Psalms 17:3; Job 7:18.
(c) for the sake of inspecting, reviewing; hence to review, to number a people, an army, Numbers 1:44, seq.; 3:39, seqq.; 1 Kings 20:15. Part. pass. פְּקוּדִים those who are numbered, Numbers 1:21, seqq.; 2:4, seqq; Exodus 30:14 (compare Hothpa. and the noun מִפְקָד); also, to miss, to find wanting in reviewing, 1 Samuel 20:6, 25:15 Isaiah 34:16. (Eth. פקד to review, to number.)
(d) to go to any one to take care of him, to look after any one, as a shepherd his flock, Jeremiah 23:2 God, men, Genesis 21:1, 50:24 Exodus 3:16, 4:31 1 Samuel 2:21; Job 7:18. Sometimes to look after any one again (after an interval), Isaiah 23:17 also, to look to any one as expecting help, Isaiah 26:16. (Arab. فقد to animadvert, to consider, to long for. VIII. to visit, to explore.) Hence
(2) causat. (i.q. Hiphil) to cause any one to look after other (persons or things), so that he should care for them, i.e.
(a) to set any one over anything; followed by an acc. of pers. and עַל Numbers 4:27, 27:16 Jeremiah 51:27. Metaph. Jeremiah 15:3, “I will set over them four kinds,” i.e. I will lay four kinds of calamities. Absol. Numbers 3:10; Deuteronomy 20:9. Part. pass. פְּקוּדִים officers, Numbers 31:48; 2 Kings 11:15. Compare Niphal, Hiphil, and the noun פָּקִיד. Followed by אֵת (אִתּ) to set with, to join to any one as a companion, servant (jem. behgeben, behordnen), Genesis 40:4.
(b) to commit, to charge to the care of any one (Aram. Pe. and Pa. to command, to charge); followed by עַל of pers. 2 Chronicles 36:23; Ezra 1:2. Job 36:23, מִי פָקַד עָלָיו דַּרְכּוֹ “who has commanded his way to him?” Job 34:13, מִי פָקַד עָלָיו אַרְצָה “who has charged him with the earth?” i.e. has committed the earth to his care. Compare פִּקּוּד command.
(c) to deposit anywhere (to commit to any one’s care), 2 Kings 5:24. Compare פִּקָּדוֹן deposit, store.
(3) to go to any one, in a hostile sense, to fall upon, to attack (compare פָּגַע No. 1, a); absol. Job 31:14, 35:15 Isaiah 26:14 followed by עַל of pers. Isaiah 27:3 chiefly used of God chastening the wicked, Jeremiah 9:24, 44:13 followed by אֶל Jeremiah 46:25 בְּ Jeremiah 9:8 acc. Psal. 59:6. In other places the cause of punishment is assigned, as Hosea 12:3, לִפְקֹד עַל יַעֲקֹב כִּדְרָכָיו “to punish Jacob according to their ways;” more often the sin to be punished is put in the acc. Exodus 20:5, פֹּקֵד עֲוֹן אָבוֹת עַל בָּנִים “punishing the sin of the fathers on the children.” Exodus 32:34, 34:7 Numbers 14:18; Isaiah 13:11; Hosea 1:4, 2:15 4:9 compare 1 Samuel 15:2; Psalms 89:33, where mention of the person is omitted.
(1) pass. of Kal No. 1, c, to be missing, to be lacking, Numbers 31:49; 1 Samuel 20:18, 25 1 Samuel 20:25, 25:7, 21 1 Samuel 25:21.
(2) Pass. of Kal No. 2, a, to be set over, Nehem. 7:1 12:44.
(3) Pass. of Kal No. 3, to be punished, Isaiah 24:22, 29:6 Numbers 16:29; Proverbs 19:23.
Piel, i.q. Kal No. 1, c, to muster, Isaiah 13:4.
(1) to be mustered, Exodus 38:21.
(2) to be lacking; Isaiah 38:10, “I shall be lacking the remainder of my days,” my friends will seek me in vain amongst the living.
Hiphil, i.q. Kal No. 2.
(1) to set any, one over any thing; followed by an acc of pers. an עַלּ of thing, Genesis 39:5, 41:34 Numbers 1:50; Jeremiah 1:10, 40:11 לְ 1 Kings 11:28 בְּ Jeremiah 40:5, 41:18 absol. 2 Kings 25:23. Metaph. Leviticus 26:16 (compare in Kal, Jeremiah 15:3).
(2) to commit, to charge, to the care of any one; followed by עַל יְדֵי 2 Chronicles 12:10 בְּיַד Psalms 31:6 followed by אֵת, prop. to commit with any one (as if to deposit with him), Jerem. 40:7 41:10. Absol. Jeremiah 37:21.
(3) to deposit anywhere, Isaiah 10:28; Jeremiah 36:20.
Hophal הָפְקַד part. מֻפְקָדִים.
(1) to be set over, 2 Kings 12:12; 2 Chronicles 34:10, 12 2 Chronicles 34:12.
(2) to be deposited with any one; followed by אֵת Lev. 5:23.
(3) to be punished, Jeremiah 6:6.
Hithpael, pass. of Kal No. 1, c, to be mustered, to be numbered, Judges 20:15, 17 Judges 20:17, 21:9.
Hothpael pl. הָתְפָּֽקְדוּ (for הָתְפַּקְּדוּ), id.; Numbers 1:47, 2:33 26:62 1 Kings 20:27.
Derived nouns, פְּקֻדָּה-פִּקּוּד, פָּקִיד, מִפְקָד.
the Fourth Week after Epiphany