the Week of Proper 3 / Ordinary 8
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #3794 - ὀχύρωμα
- a castle, stronghold, fortress, fastness
- anything on which one relies
- of the arguments and reasonings by which a disputant endeavours to fortify his opinion and defend it against his opponent
ὀχῠρ-ωμα, ατος, τό,
stronghold, fortress, prison, X. HG 3.2.3, LXX Genesis 39:20, PPetr. 2p.34 (iii B. C.), Plb. 4.6.3, PStrassb. 85.23 (ii B. C.): pl., Phld. Rh. 1.334 S., OGI 455.14 (Aphrodisias, i B. C.).
ὀχύρωμα, ὀχυρώματος, τό (ὀχυρόω (to make strong, to fortify));
1. properly, a castle, stronghold, fortress, fastness, the Sept. for מִבְצָר, etc.; very often in 1 and 2 Macc.; Xenophon, Hellen. 3, 2, 3.
2. tropically, anything on which one relies: καθεῖλε τό ὀχύρωμα, ἐφ' ᾧ ἐπεποίθεισαν, Proverbs 21:22; ὀχύρωμα ὁσίου φόβος κυρίου, Proverbs 10:29; in 2 Corinthians 10:4 of the arguments and reasonings by which a disputant endeavors to fortify his opinion and defend it against his opponent.
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
ὀχύρωμα , -τος , τό
(< ὀχυρόω , to fortify, make firm),
[in LXX for H4013, etc.;]
a stronghold, fortress (Psalms 89:40, Nahum 3:12; Nahum 3:14 al.); in LXX and NT, also metaph. of that in which confidence is placed (Proverbs 10:29; Proverbs 21:22, al.): 2 Corinthians 10:4.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
παραπικρασμός occurs in the NT only in Hebrews 3:8; Hebrews 3:15 from Psa. 94꞉8 (MT Psalms 95:8) : cf. Aq 1Ki. 15꞉23 [MT 1 Samuel 15:23], Sm Job 7:11, and Th Proverbs 17:11, and see Nestle’s note in Exp T xxi. p. 94.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
Old / New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.