the Week of Proper 20 / Ordinary 25
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #1624 - גָּרָה
1) to cause strife, stir up, contend, meddle, strive, be stirred up
1a) (Piel) to stir up strife, excite strife
1b1) to excite oneself against, engage in strife
1b2) to excite oneself (against foe), wage war
- A2080 Brc (Scratch, Itch)
- A2081 Drc (Scrape)
- A2082 Zrc (Cut, Axe)
- A2083 Lrc (Rough, Stone)
- A2085 Nrc (Floor)
- A2086 Xrc (Crush)
- A2087 Orc (Diminish, Ledge)
- A2088 Prc (Sweep away)
- A2089 Src (Cast out, Pasture)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Pi`el stir up strife,
Hithpa`el engage in strife (compare Late Hebrew Pi`el stir up, excite, against (בְּ) Hithpa`el; Aramaic Pa`el גָּרֵא ; especially Assyrian garû, Qal attack, be at war with, garû, girû, enemy, etc. Asrb Annals iv. 49,50 (KB ii. 190) also SASmith Assurbanipal i. ii. Glossary; Arabic is run, especially of water, flow, etc.) —
Pi`el Imperfect 3 masculine singular יְגָרֶה Proverbs 15:18; Proverbs 28:25; Proverbs 29:22, all with object מָדוֺן excite, stir up, strife. — On גֵּרָה Deuteronomy 14:8 see I. גֵּרָה below גרר.
Hithpa`el Perfect 2 feminine singular הִתְגָּרִיתְ Jeremiah 50:24; Imperfect 3 masculine singular יִתְגָּרֶה Daniel 11:25, וְיִתְגָּרֶ֯ו Daniel 11:10; 2 masculine singular תִּתְגָּרֶה 2 Kings 14:19; 2 Chronicles 25:19; jussive with apocope תִּתְגָּר Deuteronomy 2:9,19; 3 masculine plural יִתְגָּרוּ Proverbs 28:4; Daniel 11:10, compare Daniel 11:10 Kt., see above; 2 masculine plural תִּתְגָּרוּ Deuteronomy 2:5 (jussive); Imperative masculine singular הִתְגָּר Deuteronomy 2:24; —
1 excite oneself against (בְּ person), engage in strife with, literally Deuteronomy 2:5,19; 2 Kings 14:19 2 Chronicles 25:19 (followed by בְּרָעָה; — רעה personified as challenged opponent); also + accusative of manner, מִלְחָמָה Deuteronomy 2:9,24; figurative וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֺרָה יִתְגָּרוּבָם Proverbs 28:4 while they that keep the law are at strife with them, i.e. with those that forsake it.
2 absolute, excite oneself (against foe), wage war, only Daniel 11:יִתְגָּרוּ וְאָֽסְפוּ הֲמוֺן חֲיָלִים רַבִּים Proverbs 28:10 they shall wage war, etc.; וְיָשֹׁב וְיִתְגָּרֶ֯ו עַדמָֿעֻזֹּה Proverbs 28:10 and he shall return and war, even to his stronghold; Proverbs 28:25 followed by לַמִּלְחָמָה + בְּחַיִל גָּדוֺל (instrumental)
גָּרָה not used in Kal, pr. to be rough (from the idea of scraping, comp. the roots beginning with גר), specially of roughness of the throat, i.q. גָּרַר No. 3 (whence גָּרוֹן throat); it is then applied to moroseness, austerity, proneness to anger; Arab. غرى to give way to anger, IV. to provoke, e. g. a dog (Aram. גָּרֵי, ܓܰܪܝܺ, ܓܰܪܶܓ to irritate; comp. Germ. kraßig, griesgramig, used of a morose person).
Piel, גֵּרָה to stir up, excite strife. Proverbs 15:18, אִישׁ חֵמָה יְגָרֶה מָדוֹן “an angry man stirreth up strife.” Proverbs 28:25, 29:22.
Hithpael, pr. to excite, stir up oneself to anger, to strife, or to battle. Hence
(1) to be irritated, angry, Proverbs 28:4, שֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה יִתְגָּרוּ בָם “those who keep the law are irritated against them.” Daniel 11:10, init.
(2) to make war with any one, followed by בְּ. Deuteronomy 2:5, 19, אַל־תִּתְגָּר בָּם. “wage no war with them;” in verses and 24 there is also added הִתְגָרָה מִלְחָמָה בַיְהֹוָה “to wage war with Jehovah,” Jeremiah 50:24. 2 Kings 14:10, לָמָּה תִתְגָּרֶה בְּרָעָה “why shouldst thou contend with (excite to battle) misfortune?” Absol. Daniel 11:10, יִתְגָּרֶה עַד־מָעֻזֹּה “he shall make war (shall penetrate) as far as his fortress.” Daniel 11:25, יִתְגָּרֶה לַמִּלְחָמָה “he shall stir himself up (shall arise) to war.”
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.