Click here to learn more!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #2256 - חֶבֶל
1) a cord, rope, territory, band, company
1a) a rope, cord
1b) a measuring-cord or line
1c) a measured portion, lot, part, region
1d) a band or company
2) pain, sorrow, travail, pang
2a) pains of travail
2b) pains, pangs, sorrows
V) lbh (ההבל HhBL) - I. Bind:To be bound as with ropes. [Hebrew and Aramaic] II. Pledge:To be bound. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (35): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Pual, Piel) destroy, pledge, band, brought, corrupt, offend, spoil, travail, withhold, hurt - Strongs: H2254 (חָבַל), H2255 (חֲבַל)
Nm) lbh (ההבל HhBL) - I. Cord:Used for binding around. II. Region:As bound with borders. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (63): sorrow, cord, line, coast, portion, region, lot, rope, company, pang, band, country, destruction, pain, snare, tackling, hurt, damage - Strongs: H2256 (חֶבֶל), H2257 (חֲבָל)
Jeff Brenner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
חֶבֶל m. (once f. Zephaniah 2:6), with suff. חַבְלִי pl. חֲבָלִים const. חֶבְלֵי Psalms 18:5, 116:3, and חַבְלֵי Joshua 17:5
(1) a cord, a rope (Arab. حَبْلُ, Syr. ܚܰܒܠܳ Ethiop. ሐብል፡ To this answer Gr. κάμιλος, French [and English] cable, nor was there ground for the rejection of the Greek word as fictitious, as was done by some philologists, see Passow. Lex. i, 779). Joshua 2:15. Ecclesiastes 12:6, חֶבֶל הַכֶּסֶף “a cord made of silver threads.”
(2) especially a measuring line, Amos 7:17; 2 Samuel 8:2 hence
(a) a measured field, given to any one by lot, Joshua 17:14, 19:9, and thus inheritance, portion, possession. Psal. 16:6, חֲבָלִים נָֽפְלוּ־לִי בַּנְּעִימִים “a portion has been allotted to me in a pleasant region.” Deuteronomy 32:9, יַעֲקֹב חֶבֶל נַחֲלָתוֹ “Jacob (is) his possession.” Hence, in a general sense, a tract of land, a region, Deuteronomy 3:4, 13:14. חֶבֶל הַיָּם a maritime district, sea-coast, Zephaniah 2:5, Zephaniah 2:6.
(3) a gin, a noose, a snare, Psalms 140:6; Job 18:10. חֶבְלֵי מָוֶת שְׁאוֹל, “snares of death, of Hades” [if this word and the preceding are to be taken together, (and from the connection with the N. Test. it appears that these occurrences must at least belong to the former,) these expressions signify the pangs (or sorrows) of death, of Hades], Psalms 18:5, Psalms 18:6, 116:3.
(4) a band of men, a company, 1 Samuel 10:5, 10 1 Samuel 10:10(comp. Germ. Bande, Rotte [Engl. band]).
[“(5) destruction (compare Piel No. 2), Micah 2:10, well rendered by the Syr. and Vulg.”]
the Week of Proper 25 / Ordinary 30