the Fifth Week of Lent
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #6664 - צֶדֶק
1) justice, rightness, righteousness
1a) what is right or just or normal, rightness, justness (of weights and measures)
1b) righteousness (in government)
1b1) of judges, rulers, kings
1b2) of law
1b3) of Davidic king, Messiah
1b4) of Jerusalem as seat of just government
1b5) of God’s attribute
1c) righteousness, justice (in case or cause)
1d) rightness (in speech)
1e) righteousness (as ethically right)
1f) righteousness (as vindicated), justification (in controversy), deliverance, victory, prosperity
1f1) of God as covenant-keeping in redemption
1f2) in name of Messianic king
1f3) of people enjoying salvation
1f4) of Cyrus
2658) qdy (תסדק TsDQ) AC: ? CO: Straight AB: Righteous: One who is upright or righteous is one who walks a straight path. [from: dy- The straightness of the side]
V) qdy (תסדק TsDQ) - Straight: To be straight. KJV (41): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Hitpael, Piel) justify, righteous, just, justice, cleanse, clear, righteousness - Strongs: H6663 (צָדַק)
Nm) qdy (תסדק TsDQ) - Straight: KJV (116): righteousness, just, justice, righteous, right - Strongs: H6664 (צֶדֶק)
Nf1) eqdy (תסדקה TsDQH) - Straightness: KJV (157): righteousness, justice, right, righteous, moderate - Strongs: H6666 (צְדָקָה)
bm) qidy (תסדיק TsDYQ) - Straight: KJV (206): righteous, just, lawful - Strongs: H6662 (צַדִּיק)
ef1) eqdiy (תסידקה TsYDQH) - Straightness: [Aramaic only] KJV (1): righteousness - Strongs: H6665 (צִדְקָה)
Jeff Brenner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
1 what is right, just, normal; rightness, justness, of weights and measures, אֵיפָה, אֶבֶןשְׁלֵמָה וָצֶדֶק Deuteronomy 25:15 a perfect and a just weight, ephah; ׳מאֹזְנֵי צ; ׳אַבְנֵי צ, ׳אֵיפַת צ, ׳הִין צ, ׳בַּת צ Leviticus 19:36 (H) Job 31:6; Ezekiel 45:10; ׳מַעְגְּלֵי צ right paths Psalm 23:3; ׳זִבְחֵי צ right peace-offerings Deuteronomy 33:19; Psalm 4:6; Psalm 51:21.
2 righteousness, in government:
a. of Judges , rulers, kings, ׳שׁפט בצ Leviticus 19:15(H); ׳שׁפט צ Deuteronomy 1:16; Proverbs 31:9; ׳משׁפט צ Deuteronomy 16:18; ׳רדף צ Deuteronomy 16:20; ׳חוֺקֵק צ Proverbs 8:15; ׳מלך לצ Isaiah 32:1; ׳דבּר צ Psalm 58:2; also Proverbs 25:5; Psalm 94:15; Ecclesiastes 5:7.
b. of law, asמִשְׁמָּטִים Isaiah 58:2; Psalm 119:7; Psalm 119:62; Psalm 119:75; Psalm 119:106; Psalm 119:160 (ᵐ5, but ᵑ0מִשְׁמַּט), Psalm 119:164; as עֵדוֺת Psalm 119:138; Psalm 119:144; as מִצְוֺר Psalm 119:172.
c. of Davidic king, Messiah Isaiah 11:4,5; Isaiah 16:5; Psalm 45:5, ׳דין דצ Psalm 72:2.
d. of Jerusalem, as seat of just government, עִיר הַצֶּדֶק Isaiah 1:26 city of righteousness; ׳נְוֵה צ Jeremiah 31:23; Jeremiah 50:7 (possibly these reflect an original god צֶדֶק, see מַלְכִּי צֶדֶק); יָלִין בָּהּ׳צ Isaiah 1:21 righteousness used to lodge in her; compare ׳מְקוֺם הצ Ecclesiastes 3:16 the place of righteousness.
e. of God's attribute as sovereign Job 36:3, husband of Israel Hosea 2:21; ׳צ his personified agent Psalm 85:11; Psalm 85:12; Psalm 85:14, foundation of his throne Psalm 89:15 = Psalm 97:2; in his government Psalm 9:9; Psalm 65:6; Psalm 96:13 = Psalm 98:9, promise Isaiah 45:19, administration of justice Job 8:3; Jeremiah 11:20; Psalm 7:18; Psalm 48:11; Psalm 50:6 = Psalm 97:6, vindication of his people Psalm 9:5; Psalm 35:24; Psalm 35:28; raising up Cyrus Isaiah 45:13, calling his servant Isaiah 42:6; אֱלֹהֵי צִדְקִי Psalm 4:2 God of my righteousness (who vindicates me); his ׳צ is everlasting Psalm 119:142.
3 righteousness, justice, in a case or cause Job 6:29; Job 8:6; Job 29:14; Psalm 35:27; Isaiah 59:4; God ׳שׁפט כצ Psalm 7:9 judges according to righteousness; ׳גמל כצ Psalm 18:21; ׳השׁיב כצ Psalm 18:25; ׳שׁמע צ Psalm 17:1 ׳הוציא צ Psalm 37:6.
4 rightness, in speech, ׳דבּר צ Psalm 52:5 (opposed to שֶׁקֶר); ׳יַגִּיד צ Proverbs 12:17; כל אמרי פי׳בצ Proverbs 8:8; ׳שִׂפְתֵי צ Proverbs 16:13.
5 righteousness, as ethically right Job 35:2; Psalm 17:15; Psalm 45:8; Proverbs 1:3; Proverbs 2:9; Ecclesiastes 7:15; Jeremiah 22:13; Ezekiel 3:20; Hosea 10:12 (read ׳מְּרִי צ, so ᵐ5 We Now); עלמים׳צ Daniel 9:24; ׳עשׂה צ Isaiah 64:4; Psalm 119:121; ׳פעל צ Psalm 15:2; ׳למד צ Isaiah 26:6,10; ׳בקּשׁ צ Zephaniah 2:3; ׳רדף צ Isaiah 51:1; ׳ידע צ Isaiah 51:7.
6 righteousness as vindicated, justification in controversy with enemies and troubles, deliverance, victory, prosperity:
a. of God as covenant-keeping, in redemption, בִּימִיןצִדְקִי Isaiah 41:10, "" יֵשַׁע Isaiah 45:8; Isaiah 51:5, compare Isaiah 42:21; ׳בשּׂר צ Psalm 40:10; ׳אִמְרַת צ Psalm 119:123.
b. in nameיהוה צִדְקֵנוּ, of Messianic king (vindicating people's cause and giving victory) Jeremiah 23:6; of city Jeremiah 33:16.
c. of people as enjoying ׳צ of salvation, "" יְשׁוּעָה Isaiah 62:1; "" כָּבוֺד Isaiah 58:8; Isaiah 62:2; ׳כהנים יִלְבְּשׁוּ צ Psalm 132:9; ׳שַׁעֲרֵי צ Psalm 118:19; ׳אֵילֵי הצ Isaiah 61:3.
d. of Cyrus, יִקְרָאֵהוּ לְרַגְלוֺ׳צ Isaiah 41:2 (who) in victory calleth him at every step (CheHpt on whose steps attends victory, so Di Du).
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights reserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
צֶדֶק with suff. צִדְקִי m.
(1) in a physical sense, straightness, rightness, i.q. ישֶׁר. Psalms 23:3, צֶדֶק מַעְגְּלֵי “straight paths.” Hence in an ethical sense
(2) rectitude, right, what is right and just (das Recht), what is so, or ought to be so, compare ישֶׁר No. 2, a; Psalms 15:2, פֹּעֵל צֶדֶק “one doing what is right,” acting rightly; compare עָשָׂה צֶדֶק Isaiah 64:4; Psalms 45:8; Job 8:3, 36:3, לְפֹעֲלִי אֶתֵּן צֶדֶק “to my Creator I will ascribe rectitude,” i.e. I will vindicate his right. Hence שָׁפַט צֶדֶק to judge the right, i.e. justly, Deuteronomy 1:16, 16:18 Jeremiah 11:20 מִשְׁפַּט צֶדֶק just judgment, Isaiah 58:2 מֹאזְנֵי צֶדֶק, אַבְנֵי צֶדֶק just balances, a just weight, Leviticus 19:36; Job 31:6; Ezekiel 45:10 זִבְחֵי צֶדֶק just sacrifices, i.e. such as are due, rightly offered, Deuteronomy 33:19; Psalms 4:6, 51:21. With a suff. the right, the just cause of any one, Psalms 7:9, “judge me בְּצִדְקִי according to my right;” Psalms 18:21, 25 Psalms 18:25; Job 6:29, compare Psalms 17:1. Often joined are צֶדֶק וּמִשְׁפָּט what is right and just, Psalms 89:15, 97:2. Also the right which we speak, i.e. the truth, Psalms 52:5; Isaiah 45:19.
(3) justice, i.q. צְדָקָה, as of a judge, Leviticus 19:15 of a king, Isaiah 11:4, Isaiah 11:5, 16:5 32:1 of God, Psalms 9:9, 35:24, 28 Psalms 35:28, 50:6 72:2 96:13 hence righteousness, integrity (see צַדִּיק No. 3 ), Isaiah 1:21, 51:1, Isaiah 51:7, 59:4 Psalms 17:15; Hosea 2:21.
(4) liberation, welfare, felicity [?] (as being the reward of virtue, see Isaiah 32:17). So often when there is in the other member יֶשַׁע, יְשׁוּעָה Isaiah 41:2, 45:8 51:5 Daniel 9:24; Psalms 132:9 (compare verse 16 Psalms 132:16). Used of the servant of God, Isaiah 42:6, קְרָאתִיךָ בְצֶדֶק “I have called thee with deliverance,” i.e. that thou mayest come with deliverance, mayest bring it (compare Jeremiah 26:15), and used in the same sense of Cyrus, Isaiah 45:13, אָנֹבִי הַעִירוֹתִיהוּ בְצֶדֶק “I raised him up (that he may come) with deliverance;” also i.q. בְּרָכָה Isaiah 61:3, אֵילִיִ הַצֶּדֶק “terebinths of blessing” (auf denen Gottes Seegen ruht, gefeegnete Terebinthen, as it is said gefeegnetes Land). Very frequently also the word צְדָקָה (which see) is thus used; and this signification has been vainly [?] rejected of late by Moeller (De Authentia Esaiæ, p. 186), and Kleinert (Die Echtheit der Jes. Weissagungen, i.p. 255, seq.). Compare צְדָקָה No. 4.
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.