Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #7194 - קָשַׁר
1) to bind, tie, bind together, league together, conspire
1a1) to bind, confine
1a2) to league together, conspire
1b) (Niphal) to be bound, be bound up
1c1) to bind on
1c2) to bind fast
1c3) to bind, tie
1c4) to bind to oneself
1d) (Pual) robust, vigorous (participle)
1e) (Hithpael) to conspire
V) rsq (קסהר QShR) - I. Tie:To tie around. II. Conspire:In the sense of tying up. KJV (44): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hitpael, Pual, Piel, Participle) conspire, bind, make, stronger - Strongs: H7194 (קָשַׁר)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
קָשַׁר fut. יִקְשֹׁר
(1) to bind, with an acc. and עַל to bind any thing to any thing, Genesis 38:28; Proverbs 3:3, 6:21 7:3 with acc. and בְּ Job 39:10; Joshua 2:18 (but in Job 40:29 לְ does not belong to the construction of the verb; “wilt thou bind him for thy maidens?” i.e. that thy maidens may sport with him.) Metaph. Genesis 44:30, נַפְשׁוֹ קְשׁוּרָה בְנַפְשׁוֹ, “his (the father’s) soul is bound up with his (the boy’s) soul,” embraces him with closest love (compare 1 Samuel 18:1); Proverbs 22:15.
(2) to conspire (pr. to join together, to confederate oneself with others), followed by עַל against any one, 1 Samuel 22:8; 2 Samuel 15:31; 1 Kings 15:27, 16:9, 16 1 Kings 16:16; 2 Kings 10:9, etc.; fully קָשַׁר קֶשֶׁר, see קֶשֶׁר.
(3) Part. pass. קָשׁוּר, bound, hence bound together in a compact and firm body, i.e. robust, Genesis 30:42. As to how the verbs of binding are applied to strength, see חָזַק No. 3, חוּל No. 6.
(1) pass. of Kal No. 1, Metaph. 1 Samuel 18:1 (compare Genesis 44:30.)
(2) to be bound together, compacted (as a wall), and thus to be finished, Neh. 3:38.
(1) i.q. Kal No. 1, to bind together, Job 38:31.
(2) to bind to oneself (like a girdle), followed by an acc. Isaiah 49:18 תְּקַשְּׁרִים כַּכַּלָּה, “thou shalt bind them on thee as a bride,” sc. binds on her girdle. In the other hemistich, “thou shalt put them on as an ornament.”
Pual, part. מְקֻשָּׁרוֹת robust (ewes), Genesis 30:41 see Kal No. 3.
Hithpael, i.q. Kal No. 2, 2 Kings 9:14; 2 Chronicles 24:25, 26 2 Chronicles 24:26. Hence
the Sixth Week after Easter