Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
This has recently been identified by Edouard Naville, who has carried on excavations under the auspices of the "Egypt Exploration Fund," with Tell el-Maskhutah, or Abu Kesheid (usually thought to be the site of Heropolis), and he has published the results of his explorations in a volume entitled The Store-city of Pithom (Lond. 1885). The identification rests chiefly on the discovery, upon the spot, of a statue of a squatting man, in red granite, the lieutenant of king Osorkon II, "Ank-renp-nefer, the good recorder of Pithom " (pages 4, 5, 13), together with an inscription on a large monument of Rameses at Ismaileh, containing the words "the lord of Theku, of Succoth." This is certainly somewhat slender ground, but it may perhaps be provisionally accepted for the present. Mr. Naville found the remains of what he regards as a. large temple with numerous chambers, indicating the existence of a city there in ancient times, but he was unable to make out its plans, or to unearth it to any great extent.
These files are public domain.
McClintock, John. Strong, James. Entry for 'Pithom (2)'. Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/tce/p/pithom-2.html. Harper & Brothers. New York. 1870.