the Fourth Week of Lent
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #1254 - בָּרָא
1) to create, shape, form
1a) (Qal) to shape, fashion, create (always with God as subject)
1a1) of heaven and earth
1a2) of individual man
1a3) of new conditions and circumstances
1a4) of transformations
1b) (Niphal) to be created
1b1) of heaven and earth
1b2) of birth
1b3) of something new
1b4) of miracles
1c1) to cut down
1c2) to cut out
2) to be fat
2a) (Hiphil) to make yourselves fat
1043) rb (בר BR) AC: Feed CO: Grain AB: ?: The pictograph b is a picture of a tent but also represents the family which resides inside the tent. The r is a picture of a head. Combined these have the meaning of "family of heads". The plant families of grains such as wheat and barley have a cluster of seeds at the top of the stalk called "heads". These grains were used for food for both man and livestock. (eng: barley - a grain; beer - made from grain; boar - as fat; barn - grain storage; pure - as clean with soap with an exchange for the p and b)
A) rb (בר BR) AC: ? CO: Grain AB: ?: Grains grown in fields were used for meal to make flour as well as feed for livestock. The stalks of the grains were burned to make potash for making soap. What is cleaned with soap becomes white or bright.
Nm) rb (בר BR) - I. Grain:Grain, and field, as a place for growing grain. II. Soap:Made from the ashes of the grain stalks. III. Clean:Cleanliness from soap. Also pure as a moral cleanliness. KJV (33): corn, wheat, son, about, clean, pur, choice, clear, purely, son - Strongs: H1248 (בַּר), H1249 (בַּר), H1250 (בָּר), H1251 (בַּר)
ldm) rfbrb (ברבור BRBWR) - Fowl: Birds fattened on the grains in the field. KJV (1): fowl - Strongs: H1257 (בַּרְבֻּר)
B) rrb (ברר BRR) AC: ? CO: Soap AB: ?: The stalks of the grains were burned to make potash for making soap.
V) rrb (ברר BRR) - I. Clean:The cleaning or polishing of something to make it bright or pure. II. Choice:Something that is clean or pure. KJV (18): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Hitpael, Piel) pure, choice, chosen, clean, clearly, manifest, bright, purge out, polished, purge, purified - Strongs: H1305 (בָּרַר)
C) rba (אבר ABR) AC: Fly CO: Wing AB: ?: The fowl, fed on grain, becomes strong for the long flight.
V) rba (אבר ABR) - Fly: KJV (1): (vf: Hiphil) fly - Strongs: H82 (אָבַר)
Nm) rba (אבר ABR) - Wing: KJV (3): wing, winged - Strongs: H83 (אֵבֶר)
Nf1) erba (אברה ABRH) - Wing: KJV (4): features, wing - Strongs: H84 (אֶבְרָה)
bm) riba (אביר ABYR) - Strong: The mighty power of a bird in flight. Anything or anyone of great strength, physical or mental. KJV (23): might, bulls, strong, mighty, stouthearted, valiant, angels, chiefest - Strongs: H46 (אָבִיר), H47 (אַבִּיר)
E) arb (ברא BRA) AC: Fill CO: Fat AB: ?: Grain is fed to the livestock making them fat or full.
V) arb (ברא BRA) - Fill: The fattening or filling up of something. The filling of the earth in ge1with sun, moon, plants, animals, etc. And the filling of man with life and the image of God. KJV (54): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Piel) create, creator, choose, make, cut down, dispatch, done, fat - Strongs: H1254 (בָּרָא)
bm) airb (בריא BRYA) - Fat: KJV (13): fat, rank, firm, fatter, fed, plenteous - Strongs: H1277 (בָּרִיא)
bf1) eairb (בריאה BRYAH) - Fill: KJV (1): new thing - Strongs: H1278 (בְּרִיאָה)
F) rbe (הבר HBR) AC: Divide CO: ? AB: ?: [Unknown connection to root;]
V) rbe (הבר HBR) - Divide: KJV (1): (vf: Paal) astrologer - Strongs: H1895 (הָבַר)
G) reb (בהר BHR) AC: ? CO: Soap AB: ?: What is cleaned with soap becomes white or bright.
Nf2) treb (בהרת BHRT) - Blister: A white spot on the skin and a possible sign of leprosy. KJV (13): bright spot - Strongs: H934 (בַּהֶרֶת)
bm) rieb (בהיר BHYR) - Bright: KJV (1): bright - Strongs: H925 (בָּהִיר)
H) erb (ברה BRH) AC: Eat CO: Meat AB: Covenant: The grain is used as food for man or livestock. Livestock fed grains become fat and are the choicest for slaughter.
V) erb (ברה BRH) - Eat: KJV (7): (vf: Paal, Hiphil, Piel) eat, choose, give - Strongs: H1262 (בָּרָה)
Nf3) tfrb (ברות BRWT) - Meat: The choicest meats are those from fatted livestock. KJV (1): meat - Strongs: H1267 (בָּרוּת)
Nf4) tirb (ברית BRYT) - Covenant: A covenant is instituted through a sacrifice of a choice, fatted, animal which is cut into two and the parties of the covenant pass through the pieces. If one party fails to meet the agreements of the covenant then the other may do the same to them. (see Genesis 15:10,17and Jeremiah 34:18-20) KJV (284): covenant, league, confederacy, confederate - Strongs: H1285 (בְּרִית)
fm) irb (ברי BRY) - Fat: Livestock that are fed grains become fat. KJV (1): fat - Strongs: H1274 (בְּרִי)
eff1) eirib (ביריה BYRYH) - Meat: KJV (3): meat - Strongs: H1279 (בִּרְיָה)
J) rfb (בור BWR) AC: ? CO: Soap AB: ?
Nm ) rfb (בור BWR) - Clean: KJV (8): cleanness, pureness, never - Strongs: H1252 (בֹּר), H1253 (בֹּר)
Nf4) tirfb (בורית BWRYT) - Soap: KJV (2): soap - Strongs: H1287 (בֹּרִית)
M) rib (ביר BYR) AC: ? CO: Palace AB: ?: [Unknown connection to root;]
Nf1) erib (בירה BYRH) - Palace: [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (17): palace - Strongs: H1001 (בִּירָה), H1002 (בִּירָה)
mf4) tinrib (בירנית BYRNYT) - Castle: KJV (2): castle - Strongs: H1003 (בִּירָנִיָּה)
- A2743 Kbr (Mix)
- A2041 Qrb (Thrust, Sword)
- A2042 Srb (Cypress)
- A2052 Rbc (Prevail, Warrior)
- A2520 Rbo (Cross)
Jeff Brenner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Perfect Genesis 1:1 19t.; Imperfect יִבְרָא Genesis 1:21,27; Numbers 16:30; Infinitive בְּראֹ Genesis 5:1; Imperative בְּרָא Psalm 51:12; Participle בּוֺרֵא Isaiah 42:5 10t.; suffix בֹּרַאֲךָ Isaiah 43:1; בּוֺרְאֶיךָ Ecclesiastes 12:1; — shape, fashion, create, always of divine activity, with accusative of thing, seldom except in P and Isa2.
1 object heaven and earth Genesis 1:1; Genesis 2:3 (P) Isaiah 45:18 (twice in verse); mankind Genesis 1:27 (3t. in verse); Genesis 5:1,2(P) Genesis 6:7 (J) Deuteronomy 4:32; Psalm 89:48; Isaiah 45:12; the host of heaven Isaiah 40:26; heavens Isaiah 42:5; ends of the earth Isaiah 40:28; north and south Psalm 89:13; wind Amos 4:13; the תנינים Genesis 1:21 (P).
2 the individual man Malachi 2:10 ("" father) Ecclesiastes 12:1; the smith and the waster Isaiah 54:16 (twice in verse); Israel as a nation Isaiah 43:15; Jacob Isaiah 43:1; the seed of Israel Isaiah 43:7.
3 new conditions and circumstances: righteousness and salvation Isaiah 45:8; darkness and evil Isaiah 45:7; fruit of the lips Isaiah 57:19; a new thing חֲדָשָׁה (a woman encompassing a man) Jeremiah 31:22; בְּרִיאָה (swallowing up the Korahites) Numbers 16:30 (J); cloud and flame over Zion Isaiah 4:5.
4 of transformations: a clean heart Psalm 51:12 ("" חִדֵּשׁ); new heaven and earth Isaiah 65:17 (in place of old); transformation of nature Isaiah 41:20; with double accusative בורא ירושׁלם גילה transform Jerusalem into rejoicing Isaiah 65:18.
Niph`al Perfect 2 feminine singular נִבְרֵאתְ Ezekiel 21:35; 3 plural נִבְרְאוּ Exodus 34:10 2t.; Imperfect יִבָּרֵא֑וּן Psalm 104:30; Infinitive suffix הִבָּרַאֲךָ Ezekiel 28:13; הִבָּֽרְאָךְ Ezekiel 28:15; הִבָּֽרְאָם Genesis 2:4; Genesis 5:2; Participle נִבְרָא Psalm 102:19; — Pass.
1 be created: heaven and earth Genesis 2:4 (P); creatures Psalm 104:30; mankind Genesis 5:2 (P); heavens Psalm 148:5.
2 with reference to birth: במקום אשׁר נבראת in the place where thou wast created (i.e. native land) Ezekiel 21:35; יום הבראך day when thou wast created (king of Tyre) Ezekiel 28:13,15 (compare היום ילדתיך Psalm 2:7); עַם נִבְרָא Psalm 102:19 ("" עַם נוֺלָד Psalm 22:32).
3 of something new, astonishing: miracles Exodus 34:10 (J); new things, חדשׁות Isaiah 48:6.
Pi`el Perfect בֵּרֵאתָ Joshua 17:15; בֵּרֵאתוֺ Joshua 17:18; Infinitive absolute בָּרֵא Ezekiel 21:24 (twice in verse); Ezekiel 23:47; —
1 cut down: a forest Joshua 17:15,18 (J); וּבָרֵא אוֺתְהֶן בְּחַרְבוֺתָם Ezekiel 23:47.
2 cut out: יָד hand, as an index Ezekiel 21:24 (twice in verse).
II. [בָּרָא] verb be fat (Arabic be free of a thing, sound, healthy; see מרא) —
Hiph`il Infinitive לְהַבְרִיאֲכֶם 1 Samuel 2:29 to make yourselves fat.
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights reserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
בָּרָא fut. יִבְרָא
(1) to cut, to carve out, to form by cutting [see Note], see Piel, Arab. بَرَا fut. I. to cut out, to cut or pare down, to plane and polish. (As to the notion of breaking, cutting, separating, which is inherent in the radical syllable פר, see below under פָּרַד. The same is found in the somewhat softened syllable בר, comp. בָּרַר, בָּרָה, בָּרַשׁ, בָּרַת; בָּרַד to scatter, בָּרַךְ pr. to break, also הָבַר, ز بر.)
[Note. As to the primary meaning of this root, and its connection with the cognate בָּרָה, see Dr. Davidson’s Lectures on Biblical Criticism; Appendix p. 399, seq.]
(2) to create, to produce, comp. خَاَقَ to make smooth, to polish, hence to fashion, to create; also Germ. fchaffen, Dan. skabe, which is of the same stock as fchaben, Dutch schaeven, to shave. (Arab. بَرَأَ id. بَارِىءُ Creator. Syr. Ch. ܒܪܐܳ, ܒܰܪܝܺ, בְּרָא id.). Used of the creation of heaven and earth, Genesis 1:1 of men, Gen. 1:27 5:1, 6:7 specially Israel, Isaiah 43:1, 15 Isaiah 43:15; Jeremiah 31:22, בָּרָא יְהֹוָה חֲדָשָׁה בָּאָרֶץ “the Lord has created a new thing in the earth, a woman shall protect a man” (comp. Numbers 16:30); Isaiah 65:18. הִנְנִי בֹרֵא אֶת־יְרוּשָׁלַיִם גִּילָה “behold I create Jerusalem a rejoicing,” i.e. cause her to rejoice. Part. בּוֹרְאֶיךָ (in pl. majest.) the Creator, Ecclesiastes 12:1. As to the passage, Genesis 2:3, בָּרָא לַעֲשׂוֹת should be explained “he produced by making,” i.e. he made by producing something new. Comp. Jer. loc. cit. and בְּרִיאָה, whence it is seen that בָּרָא is used of something new, and as to the construction, comp. the phrases הִגְדִּיל לַעֲשׂוֹת, הֵרֵעַ לַעֲשׂוֹת.
(3) to beget, whence בַּר a son, see Niphal No. 2. Ch. Ithpeal to be begotten.
(4) to eat, to feed, to grow fat, so called from cutting [food]; whence Hiphil, to fatten; adj. בָּרִיא fat. Comp. בָּרָה No. 2. Kindred roots are وَرَأَ to be filled with food; وَرَىَ and وَرِىَ to be fat; מָרָא to be well fed; מָרִיא i.q. בָּרִיא fattened, fat, and Gr. βόρω (βιβρώσκω); whence βορά, Lat. vorare.
(1) to be created, Genesis 2:4, 5:2 to be made, done, Exodus 34:10.
(2) pass. of Kal No. 3, to be born, Eze. 21:35 28:13 Psalms 104:30.
(1) to cut, to cut down, as with a sword, Ezekiel 23:47 wood with an axe, Joshua 17:15, “go up into the wood וּבֵרֵאתָ לְךָ שָׁם and cut out room for thee there;” as well rendered by the Vulg. verse 18 Joshua 17:18, “(but the) mountain shall be thine כִּי יַעַר הוּא וּבֵרֵאתוֹ although there be wood there, thou shalt cut it down.”
(2) to form, to fashion, i.q. יָצַר, Ezekiel 21:24.
Hiphil causat. of Kal No. 4, to make fat, to fatten, 1 Samuel 2:29.
Derived nouns are בַּר No. I, בָּרִיא, בְּרִיאָה, and pr.n. בְּרָאיָה.
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.