Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #1254 - בָּרָא
1) to create, shape, form
1a) (Qal) to shape, fashion, create (always with God as subject)
1a1) of heaven and earth
1a2) of individual man
1a3) of new conditions and circumstances
1a4) of transformations
1b) (Niphal) to be created
1b1) of heaven and earth
1b2) of birth
1b3) of something new
1b4) of miracles
1c1) to cut down
1c2) to cut out
2) to be fat
2a) (Hiphil) to make yourselves fat
1043) rb (בר BR) AC: Feed CO: Grain AB: ?: The pictograph b is a picture of a tent but also represents the family which resides inside the tent. The r is a picture of a head. Combined these have the meaning of "family of heads". The plant families of grains such as wheat and barley have a cluster of seeds at the top of the stalk called "heads". These grains were used for food for both man and livestock. (eng: barley - a grain; beer - made from grain; boar - as fat; barn - grain storage; pure - as clean with soap with an exchange for the p and b)
A) rb (בר BR) AC: ? CO: Grain AB: ?: Grains grown in fields were used for meal to make flour as well as feed for livestock. The stalks of the grains were burned to make potash for making soap. What is cleaned with soap becomes white or bright.
Nm) rb (בר BR) - I. Grain:Grain, and field, as a place for growing grain. II. Soap:Made from the ashes of the grain stalks. III. Clean:Cleanliness from soap. Also pure as a moral cleanliness. KJV (33): corn, wheat, son, about, clean, pur, choice, clear, purely, son - Strongs: H1248 (בַּר), H1249 (בַּר), H1250 (בָּר), H1251 (בַּר)
V) rrb (ברר BRR) - I. Clean:The cleaning or polishing of something to make it bright or pure. II. Choice:Something that is clean or pure. KJV (18): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Hitpael, Piel) pure, choice, chosen, clean, clearly, manifest, bright, purge out, polished, purge, purified - Strongs: H1305 (בָּרַר)
bm) riba (אביר ABYR) - Strong: The mighty power of a bird in flight. Anything or anyone of great strength, physical or mental. KJV (23): might, bulls, strong, mighty, stouthearted, valiant, angels, chiefest - Strongs: H46 (אָבִיר), H47 (אַבִּיר)
V) arb (ברא BRA) - Fill: The fattening or filling up of something. The filling of the earth in ge1with sun, moon, plants, animals, etc. And the filling of man with life and the image of God. KJV (54): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Piel) create, creator, choose, make, cut down, dispatch, done, fat - Strongs: H1254 (בָּרָא)
Nf4) tirb (ברית BRYT) - Covenant: A covenant is instituted through a sacrifice of a choice, fatted, animal which is cut into two and the parties of the covenant pass through the pieces. If one party fails to meet the agreements of the covenant then the other may do the same to them. (see Genesis 15:10,17and Jeremiah 34:18-20) KJV (284): covenant, league, confederacy, confederate - Strongs: H1285 (בְּרִית)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
בָּרָא fut. יִבְרָא
(1) to cut, to carve out, to form by cutting [see Note], see Piel, Arab. بَرَا fut. I. to cut out, to cut or pare down, to plane and polish. (As to the notion of breaking, cutting, separating, which is inherent in the radical syllable פר, see below under פָּרַד. The same is found in the somewhat softened syllable בר, comp. בָּרַר, בָּרָה, בָּרַשׁ, בָּרַת; בָּרַד to scatter, בָּרַךְ pr. to break, also הָבַר, ز بر.)
[Note. As to the primary meaning of this root, and its connection with the cognate בָּרָה, see Dr. Davidson’s Lectures on Biblical Criticism; Appendix p. 399, seq.]
(2) to create, to produce, comp. خَاَقَ to make smooth, to polish, hence to fashion, to create; also Germ. fchaffen, Dan. skabe, which is of the same stock as fchaben, Dutch schaeven, to shave. (Arab. بَرَأَ id. بَارِىءُ Creator. Syr. Ch. ܒܪܐܳ, ܒܰܪܝܺ, בְּרָא id.). Used of the creation of heaven and earth, Genesis 1:1 of men, Gen. 1:27 5:1, 6:7 specially Israel, Isaiah 43:1, 15 Isaiah 43:15; Jeremiah 31:22, בָּרָא יְהֹוָה חֲדָשָׁה בָּאָרֶץ “the Lord has created a new thing in the earth, a woman shall protect a man” (comp. Numbers 16:30); Isaiah 65:18. הִנְנִי בֹרֵא אֶת־יְרוּשָׁלַיִם גִּילָה “behold I create Jerusalem a rejoicing,” i.e. cause her to rejoice. Part. בּוֹרְאֶיךָ (in pl. majest.) the Creator, Ecclesiastes 12:1. As to the passage, Genesis 2:3, בָּרָא לַעֲשׂוֹת should be explained “he produced by making,” i.e. he made by producing something new. Comp. Jer. loc. cit. and בְּרִיאָה, whence it is seen that בָּרָא is used of something new, and as to the construction, comp. the phrases הִגְדִּיל לַעֲשׂוֹת, הֵרֵעַ לַעֲשׂוֹת.
(3) to beget, whence בַּר a son, see Niphal No. 2. Ch. Ithpeal to be begotten.
(4) to eat, to feed, to grow fat, so called from cutting [food]; whence Hiphil, to fatten; adj. בָּרִיא fat. Comp. בָּרָה No. 2. Kindred roots are وَرَأَ to be filled with food; وَرَىَ and وَرِىَ to be fat; מָרָא to be well fed; מָרִיא i.q. בָּרִיא fattened, fat, and Gr. βόρω (βιβρώσκω); whence βορά, Lat. vorare.
(1) to be created, Genesis 2:4, 5:2 to be made, done, Exodus 34:10.
(2) pass. of Kal No. 3, to be born, Eze. 21:35 28:13 Psalms 104:30.
(1) to cut, to cut down, as with a sword, Ezekiel 23:47 wood with an axe, Joshua 17:15, “go up into the wood וּבֵרֵאתָ לְךָ שָׁם and cut out room for thee there;” as well rendered by the Vulg. verse 18 Joshua 17:18, “(but the) mountain shall be thine כִּי יַעַר הוּא וּבֵרֵאתוֹ although there be wood there, thou shalt cut it down.”
(2) to form, to fashion, i.q. יָצַר, Ezekiel 21:24.
Hiphil causat. of Kal No. 4, to make fat, to fatten, 1 Samuel 2:29.
Derived nouns are בַּר No. I, בָּרִיא, בְּרִיאָה, and pr.n. בְּרָאיָה.
the Week of Proper 15 / Ordinary 20