the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34
Click here to join the effort!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #2803 - חָשַׁב
1) to think, plan, esteem, calculate, invent, make a judgment, imagine, count
1a1) to think, account
1a2) to plan, devise, mean
1a3) to charge, impute, reckon
1a4) to esteem, value, regard
1a5) to invent
1b1) to be accounted, be thought, be esteemed
1b2) to be computed, be reckoned
1b3) to be imputed
1c1) to think upon, consider, be mindful of
1c2) to think to do, devise, plan
1c3) to count, reckon
1d) (Hithpael) to be considered
V) bsh (ההסהב HhShB) - Design: To plan or design a course of action, item or invention. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (125): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hitpael, Piel) count, devise, think, imagine, cunning, reckon, purpose, esteem, account, impute, forecast, regard, workman, conceive - Strongs: H2803 (חָשַׁב), H2804 (חֲשַׁב)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Perfect ׳ח Isaiah 33:8 9t.; חָשַׁבְתָּה 2 Samuel 14:13 etc.; Imperfect יַחְשֹׁב Isaiah 10:7 4t.; יַחֲשָׁבֿ 2 Samuel 19:20; Psalm 40:18; suffix יַחְשְׁבֵנִי Job 19:11; Job 33:10; plural יַחְשְׁבוּ Psalm 41:8; Daniel 11:25; יַחְשֹׁ֑בוּ Isaiah 13:17; יַחֲשֹׁבוּן Psalm 35:20; נַחְשְׁבָה Jeremiah 18:18, etc. + 9t. Imperfect; Infinitive construct לַחְשֹׁב Exodus 31:4 3t.; Participle חשֵׁב Exodus 26:1 15t., חוֺשֵׁב 2 Chronicles 26:15; חשְׁבִים Nehemiah 6:2 3t., חשְׁבֵי Micah 2:1 3t.; —
I. of man:
1 think, account לבבו לא כן יחשׁב Isaiah 10:7 not so thinketh his mind; חשׁבי שׁמוֺ Malachi 3:16 those thinking of his name; followed by 2accusative חשׁבנהו נגוע Isaiah 53:4 we thought him stricken; elsewhere with accusative + לְ Genesis 38:15 (J), 1 Samuel 1:13; Job 19:15; Job 35:2; Job 41:24; Song of Solomon , figurative, of crocodile Job 41:19 he reckoneth iron as straw.
2 devise, plan, mean, with accusative מַחֲשֶׁבֶת רָעָה Ezekiel 38:10, רעה Psalm 35:4; Psalm 140:3; Zechariah 7:10; Zechariah 8:17, תַּהְמֻּכ֑וֺת Proverbs 16:30, מְזִמּוֺת Psalm 10:2; Psalm 21:12, דִּבְרֵי מִרְמוֺת Psalm 35:20, אָוֶן Micah 2:1; Ezekiel 11:2; Psalm 36:5, הַוּוֺת Psalm 52:4; רע(ה) על׳ח devise evil against Genesis 50:20 (E), Jeremiah 48:2; Nahum 1:11, רעה לְ׳ח Psalm 41:8, מַחֲשֶׁבֶת על׳ח Jeremiah 11:19; Jeremiah 18:18; Jeremiah 49:30; Daniel 11:25; Esther 8:3; Esther 9:25, כזאת על׳ח 2 Samuel 14:13; with infinitive 1 Samuel 18:25; Jeremiah 18:8; Jeremiah 23:27; Job 6:26; Nehemiah 6:2,6; Esther 9:24; Psalm 140:5; with לבלתי + Imperfect 2 Samuel 14:14 (where, however, Ew reads חוֺבֵ for וחשׁב compare We Dr; in this case לבלתי carries on לֹא יִשָּׂא).
3 charge, impute ׳עון ל׳ח, 2 Samuel 19:20 impute iniquity to.
4 esteem, value, regard, silver Isaiah 13:17, a man Isaiah 33:8, the servant of ׳י Isaiah 53:3.
5 invent ingenious and artistic things, להם כלי שׁיר׳ח Amos 6:5 invent for themselves instruments of music; (כל) מחשׁבת׳ח invent cunning work (of artistic devices in construction of tabernacle) Exodus 31:4; Exodus 35:32,35 (all P), Song of Solomon 2Chron 2:13; מַעֲשֵׂה חשֵׁב work of the cunning (ingenious, inventive) workman (of artistic devices in weaving; see especially VB and Di) Exodus 26:1,31; Exodus 28:6,15; Exodus 36:8,35; Exodus 39:3,8 (all P); מַחֲשֶׁבֶת חוֺשֵׁב 2 Chronicles 26:15 inventions of inventive men (of engines of war); חָרָשׁ וְחשֵׁב craftsman and inventive workman (in construction of tabernacle, see above) Exodus 35:35; Exodus 38:23 (P).
II. of God:
1 think, with accusative pers + לְ indirect object account one לאויב, for an enemy Job 13:24; Job 33:10; לוֺ כצריו׳ח Job 19:11 he accounted me unto him as his adversaries.
2 devise, plan, mean, with accusative + ל indirect object לטבה for good Genesis 50:20 (E); with ל person לִי devise for me Psalm 40:18; accusative of thing + עַל, devise something against a person Micah 2:3; Jeremiah 18:11; towards one Jeremiah 29:11, with אל against Jeremiah 49:20; Jeremiah 50:45; followed by infinitive Jeremiah 26:3; Jeremiah 36:3; Lamentations 2:8.
3 impute, reckon, with accusative of thing + ל person, the habit of believing in ׳י he reckoned to Abram as righteousness Genesis 15:6 (J E; compare Niph`al 3); not impute iniquity to one Psalm 32:2.
Niph`al Perfect נֶחְשַׁב Numbers 18:27,30, נֶחְשַׁבְתִּי Psalm 88:5 etc. + 10t. Perfect; Imperfect יֵחָשֵׁב Leviticus 7:18 7t., etc., + 6t. Imperfect; Participle נֶחְשָׁב Isaiah 2:22; 1 Kings 10:21; 2 Chronicles 9:20: —
1 be accounted, thought, esteemed, with כְּ as Hosea 8:12; Isaiah 5:28; Isaiah 29:16; Isaiah 40:15; Psalm 44:23; Job 18:3; Job 41:21; with לְ Isaiah 29:17 = Isaiah 32:15, Lamentations 4:2; עִם with, among Psalm 88:5, בַּמֶּה Isaiah 2:22 at what (value) ? (see probably interpolated; omitted by ᵐ5); with accusative Deuteronomy 2:11,20; Proverbs 17:28; Nehemiah 13:13; נָכְרִיּוֺת נֶחְשַׁבְנוּ לוֺ Genesis 31:13 (E; ᵐ5 Sam ׳כְּנֶח) Isaiah 40:17.
2 be computed, reckoned, with לְ Joshua 13:3 (D), עַל Leviticus 25:31 (P), 2 Samuel 4:2: absolute כסף was not counted (so plentiful was it) 1 Kings 10:21 2 Chronicles 9:20; 2 Kings 22:7.
3 be imputed to any one, with לְ Leviticus 7:18; Numbers 18:27,30 (all P), Leviticus 17:4 (H) Proverbs 27:14; the interposition of Phinehas לוֺ לצדקה׳נח Psalm 106:31 was imputed to him for righteousness (compare Qal II:3).
Pi`el Perfect 3 masculine singular חִשַּׁב Leviticus 25:27 4t.; feminine חִשְּׁבָה Jonah 1:4; 1 singular חִשַּׁבְתִּי Psalm 77:6; Psalm 119:59; Imperfect יְחַשֵּׁב Proverbs 16:9; Daniel 11:24, תְּחַשְּׁבוּן Nahum 1:9, etc., + 4t. Imperfect; Participle מְחַשֵּׁב Proverbs 24:8: —
1 think upon, consider, be mindful of, with accusative Psalm 77:6; Psalm 119:59, (מה) בֶּןאֱֿנוֺשׁ וַתְּחַשְּׁבֵהוּ Psalm 144:3 what (is) man's Song of Solomon , and thou thinkest upon him ("" תֵּדָעֵהוּ).
2 think to do, devise, plan, with accusative Proverbs 16:9, אֶל of persons against whom Hosea 7:15; Nahum 1:9, עַל Daniel 11:24; with infinitive Psalm 73:16; Proverbs 24:8; so of inanimate object הָאֳנִיָּה חִשְּׁבָה לְהִשָּׁבֵר Jonah 1:4 the ship was about to (minded to) be broken up.
3 count, reckon, the years since a sale of land Leviticus 25:27 (H); with לְ person Leviticus 25:52 (H), Leviticus 27:18,23 (P); with עִם Leviticus 25:50 (P); with אֶת 2 Kings 12:16.
Hithpa`el Imperfect בַּגּוֺיִם לֹא יִתְחַשָּׁ֑ב Numbers 23:9 (JE) among the nations it shall not reckon itself.
[חֲשַׁב] verb think, account (see Biblical Hebrew); —
Pe`al Participle pass plural כְּלָה חֲשִׁיבִון Daniel 4:32 like those not accounted of, of no account, Bev Dr.
חָשַׁב fut. (יַחְשֹׁב but יַחֲשָׁב־ Ps. 40:18 יַחֲשֹׁבוּן Psalms 35:20)
(1) to think, to meditate. (Arab. حَسَبَ, Syr. ܚܫܰܒ, Eth. ሐሰበ፡ and ሐዘበ፡ id. The primary idea seems to be that of computing, reckoning, see Piel No. 1; hence, to reckon with; unless perhaps it be that of mixing, like Arab. خشب and اشب, whence חשֵׁב a weaver in coloured figures, properly, one mixing threads and colours). Isaiah 10:7; Genesis 50:20. Followed by an acc. i.q. to think out, to invent, to compose, as songs [music], Amos 6:5 artificial work (compare חִשָּׁבוֹן), Exodus 31:4 whence חשֵׁב an artificer, 2 Chronicles 26:15 especially polymitarius, a weaver of damask adorned with figures (different from רֹקֵם) Exodus 26:1, 31 Exodus 26:31, 28:6 35:35 36:8 39:8. More frequently used in a bad sense; to devise evil, to plot, as חָשַׁב אָוֶן, ח׳ מְזִמָּה Psalms 10:2, 21:12 35:20 36:5 52:4 חָשַׁב רָעָה עַל Genesis 50:20; Micah 2:3; Nahum 1:11 חָשַׁב מַחֲשָׁבוֹת עַל (against some one), Jeremiah 11:19, 18:11, 18 Jeremiah 18:18 followed by אֶל Jeremiah 49:20, 50:45 followed by a gerund, to think, to purpose to do something, Psalms 140:5; 1 Samuel 18:25; Jeremiah 18:8, 26:3 36:3 Job 6:26; Esther 9:24 (where there is added עַל of the person).
(2) to think, to take to be so and so, followed by acc. and dat. (λογίζεσθαί τινα εἰς τι). Genesis 38:15, וַיַּחְשְׁבֶהָ לְזוֹנָה “and he thought her (or, took her for) a harlot.” 1 Samuel 1:13; Job 13:24, 19:15 33:10 35:2 41:19, 24 Job 41:24 followed by an acc. and כְּ Job 19:11. Absol. to make much account of, to esteem, to prize (achten for hochachten). Isaiah 13:17, אֲשֶׁר כֶּסֶף לֹא יַחְשֹׁבוּ “who do not regard silver.” Isaiah 33:8, 53:3 Malachi 3:16.
(3) to impute something to some one; followed by לְ of pers. and acc. of the thing; e.g. sin, Psalms 32:2; 2 Samuel 19:20 a good deed, [which was not any work at all, but simply his believing God], Genesis 15:6.
(1) pass. of Piel No. 1, to be computed, reckoned, 2 Kings 22:7 to be accounted, followed by לְ to, Joshua 13:3 עַל 2 Samuel 4:2.
(2) pass. of Kal No. 2, to be taken for,-followed by an acc. Proverbs 17:28, “even a fool while he is silent חָכָם יֵחָשֵׁב is counted wise.” Genesis 31:15; Isaiah 40:15. Followed by כְּ to be reckoned equal to some one, Job 18:3, 41:21 Hosea 8:12 (hence to be like, Isaiah 5:28); followed by לְ id. 1 Kings 10:21; Lamentations 4:2. בְּ Isaiah 2:22, בַּמֶּה נֶחְשָׁב הוּא “to what shall he be made equal,” i.e. at how much is he to be estimated? followed by עִם Psalms 88:5.
(3) pass. of Kal No. 3, to be imputed to some one, followed by לְ Leviticus 7:18, 17:4 Numbers 18:27; Psalms 106:31.
(1) to compute, to reckon; (as to the primary signification of roots being very often preserved in Piel, see Lehrg. p. 242); with acc. (etwas berechnen, ausrechnen) Leviticus 25:27, 50 Leviticus 25:50, 52 Leviticus 25:52, 27:18, 23 Leviticus 27:23, אֵת (אִתּ) to reckon with any, 2 Kings 12:16.
(2) to consider, to think upon (bedenken), Psalms 77:6, 119:59.
(3) to think, to meditate, i.q. Kal No. 1, absol. Psalms 73:16 followed by an acc. to think out, Proverbs 16:9 in a bad sense, to devise, to plot, followed by עַל of pers. חִשַּׁב מַחֲשָׁבוֹת עַל Daniel 11:24 אֶל of pers. Nahum 1:9; Hosea 7:15. Metaph. of inanimate things, to be as though it were- Jonah 1:4, “the ship was as though it would be broken.”
Hithpael reflex. i.q. Niphal No. 1, to reckon one’s self with. Numbers 24:9.
The derivatives follow, exc. חַשּׁוּב, מַחֲשָׁבָה.