Click here to get started today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #5753 - עָוָה
1) to bend, twist, distort
1a) (Niphal) to be bent, be bowed down, be twisted, be perverted
1b) (Piel) to twist, distort
1c) (Hiphil) to do perversely
2) to commit iniquity, do wrong, pervert
2a) (Qal) to do wrong, commit iniquity
2b) (Hiphil) to commit iniquity
V) efg (גהוה GhWH) - Twist: To be twisted in ones actions. KJV (17): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Piel) iniquity, perverse, pervert, amiss, turn, crooked, bow, trouble, wicked, wrong - Strongs: H5753 (עָוָה)
Jeff Brenner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
(1) i.q. Arab. عوى to bend, to curve, to twist, to distort (cogn. root אָוָה), see Niph. Pi. Hiph.
(2) to act perversely, to sin (compare חָבַל No. II. 2), Daniel 9:5 followed by עַל of pers. Esther 1:16. (Arab. غوى to err, to be led astray.)
(1) to be distorted, to writhe, with pains and spasms, like a parturient woman. Isaiah 21:3, נַעֲוֵיתִי מִשְּׁמֹעַ “I writhe, so that I cannot hear,” also to be, bowed, to be depressed by calamities, Psalms 38:7.
(2) to be perverse. Proverbs 12:8, נַעֲוֵה לֵב “(a man) perverse of heart.” 1 Samuel 20:30, בֶּן־נַעֲוַת הַמַּרְדּוּת “thou son of the perverse rebellious (woman),” i.e. of a perverse rebellious mother.
Piel, to pervert, to subvert, to overturn. Isaiah 24:1, עִוָּה פָנֶיהָ “he subverteth the face thereof” (of the earth). Lamentations 3:9, נְתִיבוֹתַי עִוָּה “he has subverted my ways.” Compare הָפַךְ.
Hiphil, to make crooked, to pervert, as to pervert right, Job 33:27 to pervert one’s way, i.e. course of action, i.e. to act perversely, Jerem. 3:21 then by the omission of דֶּרֶךְ to act perversely, 2 Samuel 7:14, 19:20 24:17.
Derived nouns, עַוָּה, עָוֹן, עִוְעִים, עִי, מְעִי Chald. עִוְיָא, and the pr.n. עַוִּי, עִוָּה, עֲוִית, עַי, עִיִּים, עִיּוֹן.
the Sixth Week after Easter